My 65gal tank thread. A picture essay.

hot4teacher

I figured I would jump on the band wagon and post a couple of pictures from my 65gal some refer to as the "money pit".

A little background:
Once upon a time, this guy (we'll call him "Mike") helped me get a 10gal freshwater tank and donated some baby guppies. Shortly after, that turned into getting a 13gal saltwater, and the rest is a hole in my pocket. It's been just about 2 years since I started this hobby...1 year for saltwater.

To be honest, I have just as much fun building and tweaking things than sitting back to look at the tank. For the first time ever, I pulled up my rocking chair and sat in front of the tank for about an hour the other day...amazing to have our own mini reef in a classroom and have organisms that thrive in it.

Specs:
65gal 1/4" acrylic tank (48"x17"x17") Yes she buldges in the middle) Dual standpipes, glass covers
29 gal sump, 3 chambers
Eheim 1260 return pump
6x54W T5's (Tek T5 Retro Kit) (Replaced old 4x96W PC's)
DIY Stand
DIY Canopy (4-each 3" IceCap fans)
Aqua C Urchin Pro Skimmer
Aquacontroller Jr and DC8
Several Seio power heads(used depending on how I aquascape and the livestock position)
Typhoon III RO/DI unit

Looking at the system as a whole, it's very simple, and I'm very happy with how everyone has come along. I would do a couple things a little differently, but would find it hard to really out-do this current setup.

If you're still reading, I do have to thank all of you guys in the Okinawa gang for your advice, opinions, and sometimes downright obnoxious remarks (Mike!). However I do have a special thank you to Mike for his HOURS of support and shared years of experience. Lord knows all the racing equipment I could have bought if not for Mike's persuasive qualities that talked me into a very unique hobby.

Enough chatting, let's go to the pictures!

Frame and panels done...adding doors.
dana1.jpg

Here's the doors! (Note that the front and rear center braces are removeable if I ever need to get the sump out)
dana2.jpg

Tah-dah!
dana3.jpg

bulkhead and hole (drilled with Dremel)
dana4.jpg

Makin' holes in the stand
dana5.jpg

Last edited:
Holes are made.
dana6.jpg

Connect the holes...
dana7.jpg

Silicone the inside to trap water (tested and passed several times from my leaks)
dana8.jpg

Sump ready to install.
dana9.jpg

We have water Cap'n!
dana10.jpg

Ballasts and bulbs secured. Kick the tires...
DanaT52.jpg

...and light the fires!
DanaT5-2.jpg

Mouth watering, isn't it?
DanaT53.jpg

Current pic as of Sept 17, 2006
danatank1.jpg

Just need to add trim around the IceCap fans
Danareef.jpg

Vest,
I am running 4 of the 3" IceCap fans. Two on the left side blow IN, and two on the right side blow OUT. Amazing how cool the canopy runs now. Before it would actually be VERY warm to the touch.

Rodd,
Indeed it is a 2nd grade classroom. It's a good feeling to know that most students look forward to coming to school to see if anything has changed in the tank.

Dana

I was looking at buying some of those fans. I want a set but just bought a cage for my car, cant do that now :lol:

Now im hooked though. thanks. lol

Here is the latest update:

I've determined that 6-54W T-5's on a 65g tank was overkill...bigtime! It literally was melting the zoos that weren't in the shade.

I've tried using 4-54W T-5's, and surprisingly, I think that was too much for most zoos. However, I have a Super Blue and Aqua Blue running for one hour at noon everyday. The rest of the time is a Super Blue and Actinic.

Last weekend I drained the sump, cleaned it up, and positioned it so that when the filter sock overflows, it stays in the sump and doesn't dump it overboard onto the floor. I think MarineDepot changed the micron of the socks I use now, as they only last for 2 days, whereas before they lasted a week+.

I never thought I would say this, but I think I have too many zoos. I got a ton from my last trip a few weeks ago and they are all looking great! (I still don't see any blue ones MIKE!) I suppose I could frag some of the prettier ones and spread them around the tank and maybe Jason can take some of my more established colonies when his tank is established.

I have been dosing Seacham calcium and my zoos appear to be doing better. They are open more and growing faster. I did order some kalk and will start dripping that as many of you seemed to have good results with it.

Not much else!!!

Dana

Back