My 8 gallon Build

joelips

Hello All. I've been out of the Reef game for the last 10 yrs. I decided to jump back in because my life is just not hectic enough lol. It seems that everything I thought i knew about reef keeping has changed. A few questions. I am setting up a Cad Lights AIO 8 gallon. I have about a 1.5 inch sand bed using live sand. I purchased 6lbs of live rock from my LSF that was in water circulating through their system. Am I going to go through the same cycle that I did in the past? Second, looking to update the old stock light. Keeping with a budget, I am looking at a NICREW 50 Watt light. The tank is 12*12*13, is this too much , not enough or just garbage. Appreciate the help.

If you’re using live rock, you shouldn’t have much of cycle as long as it’s established and not out of water too long between when you buy it to when it gets into the tank. You may still go through some of the ugly stages but you shouldn’t have the month long cycle.

As for the light, I don’t have any experience with that specific NiCrew but I do have a different NiCrew. I’m personally not a fan, and looking at that specific light, it looks to be similar to what I have. If you want fish only, it’ll work fine. If you are planning on keeping coral, my issues are with the par readings and the lack of adjustability. You can buy other lights for just a bit more that have significantly better par and are more adjustable (instead of set intensities you can adjust by 1% increases).

I’d look at either the Noopsyche K7 mini

Or the SmatFarm 95w LED

I have the SmatFarm on a 32 gallon Biocube and it’s growing anemones with no issue. For your application and tank size though I’d look at the Noopsyche

If you’re using live rock, you shouldn’t have much of cycle as long as it’s established and not out of water too long between when you buy it to when it gets into the tank. You may still go through some of the ugly stages but you shouldn’t have the month long cycle.

As for the light, I don’t have any experience with that specific NiCrew but I do have a different NiCrew. I’m personally not a fan, and looking at that specific light, it looks to be similar to what I have. If you want fish only, it’ll work fine. If you are planning on keeping coral, my issues are with the par readings and the lack of adjustability. You can buy other lights for just a bit more that have significantly better par and are more adjustable (instead of set intensities you can adjust by 1% increases).

I’d look at either the Noopsyche K7 mini

Or the SmatFarm 95w LED

I have the SmatFarm on a 32 gallon Biocube and it’s growing anemones with no issue. For your application and tank size though I’d look at the Noopsyche
Thank you ! Just went on you tube and that lights looks great.

Last edited:
Welcome back! I hear good things about the Noopsyche. Seen a few pics with smatfarm but seems that’s more LPS and anemones.

I ordered the noopsyche mini it's scheduled to be here 1/18/23. For now here is a pic with the stock lights.

Attachments

• tank.jpg
    tank.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 13
Looks good. May consider a lense kit so you’re pics turn out more like they look in person than washed out in blue (a common issue with LEDs)

Back