My Acan Lords don't puff up anymore.

TheORKINMan

I have two acan lords ive grown out from about 2 polyps each to about 10 polyps each. They both seem to be fine, they eat mysis and pellet food when i drop it in their mouths and their colors are fine, but they do not seem to extend their tentacles anymore or really puff up like they used to. The tentacles are still there, I see them barely poke out when they get spotfed.

The only thing that I remember somewhat coinciding with this was the introduction of my copperband butterfly. I have never seen him pick at any coral and the other LPS(Duncans, Blasto Wellsi) still puff up and extend tentacles just fine.

One other thing that just came to mind, They were near the bottom of the tank and eventually became overshadowed by a rather large green nepthea I have and they started to not extend tentacles while in that location, I've moved them out from under it but still nada.

Any ideas on what may be causing this? Lighting is T5 with ATI actinics and special blues in a standard 75.

It's roughly the same, only very slightly higher, most flow is near the top of the tank. However they started this behavior in a very low flow area and are still in a low flow area, do you think higher flow would be better?

I've seen numerous copperband butterflies pick at acans. I would almost guarantee that it's the copperband which is causing the acan to stay closed. Keep an eye on it.

Back