my acrylic tank bows, will a might mag work?

areze

my tank apparently could have been thicker acrylic, but since thats not gonna happen now...

my mag cleaner kinda rides on the edges and down very very little cleaning power, I get 2 little strips of clean on the top and bottom edge. useless...

Im wondering if a mighty mag, hopefully stronger, and with a dozer pad or felt, or something to countour to the bowed display, will work...

anyone have an acrylic tank that flexes a bit that can comment if a mighty mag will help?

I don't know if you want to force the acrylic into shape this way, if it is even possible for a magnet to do that. I think two little fishies makes a flexible mag cleaner that can bend to shape or something.

sorry, I might have been unclear, Im not looking to force the tank, Im just looking for a mag cleaner that can clean a slightly less than perfectly flat surface.

are you sure the the magnet isn't warped...even a bowed-out tank is basically flat in the 6 sq. inches that the magnet touches.

hmmm. well lol, no. but not in the same way that it doesnt clean the front hah. it might just suck in general though . it doesnt make 2 lines like it does on the front. just doesnt do much of anything.

Put a straight edge on the outside of the tank and see if its flat. Use a ruler or a level maybe. If its bowed that much that the magnet cleaner won't work it should be clear withy a straight edge on the side. Then you can determine what to do.

oh it is DEFINITELY bowed, I can visibly see it when I stand on the end and look down the way. its an 8' run, using 3/8", it isnt enough. but I did kind of figure that it was flat enough on a 6" square as someone else mentioned... but maybe not.

Id hate to spend 200$ on a mighty mag to find out its also useless to me :/

How long have you had this tank? 3/8" for an 8' long tank doesn't sound too comforting. How tall is it? Are you sure it will not crack open?

Ive had it for a year, but bought it used from someone else that had it for many years. so it seems sturdy enough... its from a brand who starts with a T who you cant type on this site.

I don't think you'd want as magnet powerful enough to stress the plastic on that thing anymore than it already is IMHO. I've heard the T brands will bow a bit but if it's so much of a bow that the magnetic doesn't fit virtually flat over an 8' run it would make me very nervous. Maybe a narrower magnet would work better?????

Back