My Aiptaisia Farm- Berghia Breeding Thread

Oh and i put lids on the containers to limit evaporation.

Each week I'll move the adults to different cups and leave the egg coils behind. I'll end up with a few cups. I'm gonna keep a log for the various cups... When the eggs were laid... Then if I can see that they've hatched although I won't be able to tell till much later... So I guess first sign of babies for example

I changed my strategy on this... seemed to be a little more tedious then I wanted.

So instead I'm gonna move the 3 adults to another 5.5 gallon and let all the egg coils do there thing undisturbed in the original one. Then I'll feed the adults and start over in the new tank.

Its hard to see in pictures but in the 3 or so weeks I've had the original three they have gotten HUGE. Biggest I've seen, much bigger than I've ever seen them shipped anyway. Close to 3/4" if I were to guess. I'm noticing egg strands getting fuzzy looking than disappearing so could be a matter of time before I see babies.

There is a little oil slick at the water surface due to the lack of flow or agitation but the berghias don't seem to mind and I read no agitation or aeration is best.

Also I've had the tank temp above 80 the entire time to help increase their metabolism. I also did that in the aiptasia tank.

Well this is a breeding thread so in the interest of science I was cataloging a new guy encounter.

"Hey ladies I'm the new guy"

"Get in line dude"

"Oh but he is kinda cute"

Bowchicabowow LOL

There needs to be some censorship here!. What is this "Berghia Shore"?

The best part is my wife came by while I was watching the show all huddled in the spare room on the floor in the dark. She's like what in the world are you doing dork? Haha :lolspin:

Well they're still alive... no babies yet.

A couple friends gave me a boat load of loose aiptasia in cups and a bucket. Scott gave me a cup at the SCRK meeting so full it looked like a bubble tip anemone.

Thanks for the light John I made a little pvc rack and zip tied it. Works perfect.

The adults are still breeding like rabbits, no baby sightings yet.

OK, quick run down. I nuked my adults... my heater got stuck on in a new tank I moved them too. I thought I caught it in time but they two that were still alive when I moved them back didn't last the night.

So the last week or so I did notice a baby in the original tank and its grown. I haven't seen any others.

There is a lot of detritus and I only have done one water change... just topping it off. Would you all think it was related to that or nitrates possibly? I mean this one survived...

I think he she is the only one... not sure what exactly I did wrong but I sure do have a lot of detritus so maybe its related to nitrates? I will be better about introducing rock or predators next time. Any thoughts?

Here is the little guy is grown quite a bit. I don't see any more so yeah...

What do you mean the adults are breeding like rabbits?

Well every day I was seeing a new egg coil... so I was comparing them to rabbits (or mice) as they breed extremely fast as compared to say a human or other animals :wave:

Any wanna be breeders out there wanna guess why I have only one baby out of that many egg coils? I'm trying to figure this out and I'm not giving up.

so it is egg coil, not Sh... :) I have never seen the real egg coil in person so I am not sure. good luck with your adventure btw

Hey bean looks good. I'll try to bring u some aiptaisas at the SCMAS meeting. When u being me my 5. ;)

Hello just following up. How did it go with the berghias? I started with some about the same time as you did so I got curious.

Back