My Aiptaisia Farm- Berghia Breeding Thread

BeanMachine

Hey all I got my aiptasia farm setup... found some really nice covered rocks as you can see. I'll use tweazers and pinch of the aips instead of putting rocks in my berghia tank. That way you don't introduce unwanted amphipods or bristle worms that can eat the eggs and the nudis. Whole process will take 2 to 3 months so I'll update things as I go.

I'm gonna have 2 10 gallon tanks for rock and 2 10 gallon tanks for the nudis. The 2 tanks with the nudis I'm gonna float little cups in, that way I can easily separate the parents from the eggs.

Here are some articles I found that I plan to follow.

Advance Aquarist- Breeder's Net Easy Berghia Nudibranch Propagation
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2008/11/breeder

Reefkeeping.com-
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-01/ac/feature/index.php

Marine Breeder.org- Berghia Nudi breeding log
http://www.marinebreeder.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2967

Here is the first tank I setup with infested rock I got. I plan to fill another one.... I thought a bigger tank would be better but this might be easier so I can easily remove one and not mess with the others. I'll have 4 tanks on a coffee table.

The rock tanks will have heat and flow, the berghia tanks just heat no flow or airstones.

20130327_203003_zps9f779822.jpg

20130327_203011_zps11652feb.jpg

Oh please no pms about buying any... they are NOT FOR SALE. First and foremost I am doing this for the benefit of my tank. I just thought I'd share if someone else wants to try later down the road.

Here is what they are currently in... just 3 adults to start so this project is gonna take some time. If I am even successful.

20130326_232646_zps6d75338d.jpg

I put a couple frags from my display in the acclimation box to tide them over until I move them to their permanent home.

20130326_232706_zps0b3fa70f.jpg

Making lemonade from lemons! Nice. I was considering doing the same with just two tanks. thanks for the nudge!

The more reading I do it seams I'm gonna need like 1000 aiptasia... main reason is 2 adults can eat up to 30 aips in 10 days... so 100 per month not counting what I'll need to feed the babies... so I think a bigger grow out tank will be in order down the line. This is good for now to get me started.

how are you even able to cut tops off the aps Cody or grab with tweezers? My experience is that they get footholds in crevices etc and when you even go near them they close up into their crevices.

how are you even able to cut tops off the aps Cody or grab with tweezers? My experience is that they get footholds in crevices etc and when you even go near them they close up into their crevices.

Quick snip is all it takes but your right. I cut at least 25. I counted about 220 aips in the ten gallon thus far.

20130328_165830_zps92fd0af5.jpg

The plan tho is to separate these to a bare tank with no rock using tweezers. That way not to introduce unwanted amphipods etc.

For now I've just pinched them off and fed them.

They layer two egg coils today. I managed to use a turkey baster to remove them off a zoa frag i put in the original container that had some aips. I put them into these containers I have floating.

20130328_205116_zpsa40c5484.jpg

20130328_205135_zps12acfa12.jpg

Oh and i put lids on the containers to limit evaporation.

Each week I'll move the adults to different cups and leave the egg coils behind. I'll end up with a few cups. I'm gonna keep a log for the various cups... When the eggs were laid... Then if I can see that they've hatched although I won't be able to tell till much later... So I guess first sign of babies for example

Last edited:
AND I might add that I read today that increasing the temp to 30 c or 86 degrees it will speed up the metabolism of the nems therefor eating more and growing faster.

I'm totally geeking out right now ha

Weird. I just signed on to make a thread looking for a nudi breeder.. I just filled up a 20g tank full of rocks infested with aiptasia..

If you need more aiptasia lmk. I'm sure we can trade off

Weird. I just signed on to make a thread looking for a nudi breeder.. I just filled up a 20g tank full of rocks infested with aiptasia..

If you need more aiptasia lmk. I'm sure we can trade off

Definitely I'll pm u when I'm ready thanks dude. I'm gonna need more most likely.

I was going to say that you will need about a 60gal tank full of aiptasia if you wanna breed nudis. Anyways, you can irritate them and poke at them and they'll send out seed or what not and grow more aiptasias. You can also spot feed and they'll grow more babies.

Good luck and please share your results. :)

55 gallons of aptasia sounds like a bad nightmare! But seriously, this looks awesome! I have wanted to do something like this for fun for quite some time. Cant wait to see how this goes

55 gallons of aptasia sounds like a bad nightmare! But seriously, this looks awesome! I have wanted to do something like this for fun for quite some time. Cant wait to see how this goes

I know right LOL I may try to aquascape it a bit... hahaha hey I have to look at it right? Maybe throw some blue leds over it for show hahaha

Back