My alkalinity dropped to 5.4dkh. How quick can I raise it?

xenon

Owner of Canada Corals
I need to raise my alkalinity asap.

How quickly can I raise it without running into more problems?

Do not raise it "quickly" That will do more damage. Raise it slowly everyday. Start dosing Brightwell Alk (Code B). That's the easiest way to raise alk.

Do not raise it "quickly" That will do more damage. Raise it slowly everyday. Start dosing Brightwell Alk (Code B). That's the easiest way to raise alk.

I have the 2-part recipe 1 from BRS.

I know that I cannot raise it too quickly. That is why I started this thread.

My question is how quickly can I raise it safely?

Check the BRS calculator. If your livestock is looking fine, I wouldn't worry about bring it up so quick. Do your regular water changes more often and dose a little more then usual BUT don't go dosing like mad to try and fix it. You will do more damage.

I found my answer on BRS calculator page.

Recipe 1 will Significantly increase PH. Although this is temporary it is important to monitor pH closely during your initial raise and avoid raising the PH more than 0.20. Do not increase alkalinity levels more then 0.5meq/lt or 1.4 dKh per day so be sure to spread the suggested dose out accordingly. If a large increase is required use Recipe 2 as it has less impact on pH. Be sure to monitor pH levels closely while adding the solution.

dosing usually takes allot of time to get it to actually raise ime. i brought mine up using baking soda. there is a calculator somewhere that will tell you how much , but i did a tsp a day for only 2 days and ity brought it within exceptable range then i dose normal. but if i need to bump it up i just use a little baking soda disolved in ro water to bump it up. baking soda does not effect ph. there is a recipe to make your own 2 part that uses baking soda (or baked baking soda depending on recipe 1 or 2 and if you want to buffer ph) and driveway deicer for cal. I'm going to switch to this after my current supply is out. oh recipe http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php

Back