My anenome isnt looking to happy

RichDD

I got this guy about 4 months ago and he's not looking too happy anymore. Any thoughts? Could the crab be to much for him? thanks.
20230309_125239.jpg

Can you provide a little more information?

What type of anemone? Looks like it might be an LTA.
How long has the system been running?
How long did you cycle before adding the anemone?
Tank size?
What type of filtration do you have?
What type of lighting do you have?
Water flow within the tank (powerheads, return pump)?
Do you manually feed the anemone?
Do you test your water parameters? If so, what are your current test results?

This information will help us better answer you.

Looks like a small bubble tip, though the tentacles appear relatively short. Could be the crab is bugging it(just based on size factor) but would need more info as above to make a better determination

It was sold to me as a pink tip anemone.

About 6 months ago I bought a 35gal setup from someone getting out of the hobby.

I then upgraded to a 65gal. I'm still using the Fluval 206 that came with the 35gal and I added a DIY sump with a refugium ( using a 40 gal tank, the refugium is about 15 gal.)
Which has a Coralife skimmer that's rated for a 65gal tank.
The new set up has been up and running for about 3 months.
I had a bit of fluctuation in my water parameters right after the move to the bigger tank but it was fully cycled prior to the move.

My lighting consists of an AI 16HD and an older Mars Aqua LED light puts out a max 165V.....I have no idea how many par they are putting out.
I have an AI Nero 3 wave maker an one side towards the front and a Koralia Nano
240GPH on the other side towards the back.

The sump has a Jebco DCP 6500...1000 to 1715GPH
I have fed the anemone but he hasn't been showing much interest lately.

My water parameters have been pretty steady.
Ammonia 0
Nitrate 5
Calcium 380
KH 10
Phosphate. 0
Nitrite 0
PH 8.3
That's all I've been testing.
unfortunately this is all new to me hopefully it's enough and good enough.

Your water parameters look pretty good to me. Calcium is a bit low, but that shouldn't affect the anemone.

The fact that it is not eating is concerning. It also looks like it is bleaching, which is not a good sign as well. Have you noticed that it's lost color since you bought it?

There are several species of anemones that can be sold as Pink Tip, depending on the vendor. IMO, those that are sold as Pink Tip Anemones can be challenging for even experienced hobbyists to keep.

I won't pretend to be able to give advice on what steps you should take at this point. But, unfortunately, there may not be much you can do.

Hmm, OK.
I was hoping there was a magic bullet, like more flow or less light.... it used to move around but it hasn't in a while. I guess I'll just have let "my version of nature" take its course and see what happens.
Thanks for considering the issue.

The anemone does not look bad to me. My anenome over the last 30+years change shape and color periodically.
The crab probably has something to do with short stubby tentacles.
I would be more concerned with nutrient levels,with all the bubble and other algae.This could also affect the anenome.
Also check water circulation. Anenomes like some/but not too much.
Be careful what you do .Don't get excited and do the WRONG thing.The crab is more sensitive than the anenome and is a good indicator.
If it's not moving it might just be getting comfortable...a good thing.

I do agree, a comfy anemone doesn’t move usually. I do agree that with all the algae, your nutrients may be higher than what was read. I wouldn’t feed anymore right now unless it’s infrequently as anemones are primarily photosynthetic.

What other livestock do you have?

The anemone does not look bad to me. My anenome over the last 30+years change shape and color periodically.
The crab probably has something to do with short stubby tentacles.
I would be more concerned with nutrient levels,with all the bubble and other algae.This could also affect the anenome.
Also check water circulation. Anenomes like some/but not too much.
Be careful what you do .Don't get excited and do the WRONG thing.The crab is more sensitive than the anenome and is a good indicator.
If it's not moving it might just be getting comfortable...a good thing.
Good points. The mouth is still closed, so @RichDD it’s not a death sentence. Sorry if I came across that way.

Thanks all,
The algae came in on the rock when I bought out the previous owner, it did seam to get worse at first but I feel that I may be making head way in getting it under control.
My thought proces based on what I've been reading is that, I've been working on starving out the algae by adding the sump with the refugium and am just now growing a decent amount of chaeto I've also introduces 3 emerald crabs and have beefed up on my other clean up crew members.
I have quite a bit of other rock and have been manually removing some of the bubble algae recently.
20230309_212256.jpg

Do you have multiple anemones in the tank or are my eyes deceiving me? Not criticism, I just see a couple things that look like anemones in the pics.

Do you have multiple anemones in the tank or are my eyes deceiving me? Not criticism, I just see a couple things that look like anemones in the pics.
I see one above the anemone you were asking about and 2 top left of the tank. And possibly 2-3 on the right side of the tank.

I'm not sure what they are but there are about 20 of the brown ones, they seam quite content.LOL
20230309_213942.jpg

Back