My BioCube 29

remo85

Well, I downgraded since I sold (almost) all my stuff from my 46 bow.
Here is a FTS of the 46
FTS005.jpg

Well, I ended up downgrading to a Biocube 29. I chose an All-In-One becuse I didn't want to have a sump. I decided on no pump because I was so afraid that one day I would come home and find my tank overflowed, my pump running dry, and my tank over heated.
I chose a biocube after a lot of reading up on all of the other models. i haven't heard anything bad from biocubes. Nano cubes tend to crack, and aquapods woulda been too small for me. The red sea max is WAY too expensive, and the same with the Cadlights. Plus, thatd run WAY too hot with the halides. I dont wanna have to run my chiller on a nano.

My equipment list

100w ebo jager heater
4X 36w PC's
Saphire Aquatics Protein Skimmer
Rio 6HF return pump
Fuge light
JBJ ATO
Tom Aquatics aqua lifter
Aquacontroller JR

Mods

upgraded lighting to accomodate 2 more PC's
* 2 50/50's
* 1 10,000K
* 1 true blue actinic
I widened chamber 1 to chamber 2 for more flow
made chamber 1 into a fuge w/ chaetomorpha
removed bio balls and put skimmer there instead
Blocked the bottom intake grate to increase surface skimming
upgraded return pump for more flow
put 1/2" loc-line on the return line w/ Y fitting
*one flare nozzle
* one Hydor flo
Upgraded fans. better cools the lights. Also on an adjustable DC adapter so i can turn the fans up or down accordingly for temperature
custom fuge light
deremeled out the filter cartridge so i can add my own filters without buying new ones
I'm also running Chemi Pure and Sea Gel

My Live stock list

1 Ocellaris clown
1 rainford goby
2 Cleaner Shrimp
1 Sexy Shrimp
bunch-o-hermits
bunch-o-snails
Sand Sifting star

Corals

Shrooms
finger leather
toadstool leather
green star polyps
zoanthids
ricordia FL
frogspawn
Devils hand Leather
Anthelia
Xenia
Palythoas
candy canes

PICTURE TIME!!!

Newtankstuff016.jpg

my hood torn apart putting in the new lights
morebiocubestuff049.jpg

there it is with the lights in
Newtankstuff008.jpg

electrical access box for fuge light
Newtankstuff010.jpg

cut that off
Newtankstuff017.jpg

fan to keep the light cool. Used an old phone charger lying around for wiring
Newtankstuff022.jpg

made hole bigger for more air flow
Newtankstuff024.jpg

screwed it on there
Newtankstuff025.jpg

Newtankstuff027.jpg

spray painted it

morebiocubestuff048.jpg

oOoOoO
morebiocubestuff047.jpg

glued shiny reflector in there. Notice the velcro. It sticks to the back of the tank. The paint was scraped off the back to let light in.
morebiocubestuff051.jpg

skimmer fits nicely into chamber2
morebiocubestuff052.jpg

my modded filter
morebiocubestuff054.jpg

made little hooks to keep the filter pad in

zoo005.jpg

zoanthids
zoo006.jpg

sweet leather
green palys
ftsbc29003.jpg

not quite in its final place
newaquascaping001.jpg

kinda sorta final aquascaping
newaquascaping002.jpg

side shot

newaquascaping006.jpg

notice i moved the anthelia to the back. I didnt wanna block out all the other corals from view. haha
redshroomupclose.jpg

new shroom
ppe.jpg

ric.jpg

newshrimps002.jpg

what a sexy shrimp!
newshrimps006.jpg

newshrimps007.jpg

there he goes sifting away
newshrimps008.jpg

my new shrimps!
newshrimps004.jpg

the frogspawn

thanks to all the people who bought my stuff from my 46! I hope my live stock is happy in your tanks(eqipment too)! Well, there ya go! Questions comments, sugestions welcome!

ya it kinda does huh? i guess I was just so used to the traditional 29, and how that was shaped. there is a lot more depth to this than a regular AGA 29. I think its just right :)

Mike,
Your tank looks great! If you need some anthelia I have plenty! It just seems to take up so much space even in a 55! I have it divided in 2 spots and when it is flowing it goes crazy! Your xenia sent off a shoot too that went right to my filter intake one day, I pulled it off and have no idea where it landed. I am sure some day it will be sticking to the glass like it was in your tank. Keep up the photos as all your corals fill in.
Tina

thanks tina!

i kept one piece of anthelia, and i thougth I didn;t haev any xenia in the new tank, but guess what prevailed. so far there are about 5 spots where anthelia is starting to grow, and maybe 4 where i found some xenia! oh well, they look nice, and the LFS around here will always take a frag of it!

THANKS! i hope it fills in quick! I just have to keep up on those water changes, and everything ought to be moving along quite quickly. corals feedings wouldn't hurt either. Does anyone have any loose mushrooms they wanna get rid of? :)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9726716#post9726716 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by remo85
Does anyone have any loose mushrooms they wanna get rid of? :)

Everyone knows IM the real mushroom hunter. :p

ya, but look at my tank, wouldn't you just wanna put some of your shrooms in there? One of these days, I'm gonna hit the jackpot, move to florida, get a collecting license, and collect all sorts of Ricordias, take pictures, and post em... Oh You'll be jealous...

uh oh... The toadstool isn't looking so hot. I think it may be on its way out. I do believe it was due to the lack of flow. it was so used to the 6025's I had. Now I have a tiny pump and it sits between the wto returns. I added a wonderful eyesore of a power head in the tank, and hopefully it will remedy this. I;m waiting for my tunze mini to be returned, and I will throw that in instead.

That tunze mini is currently being held hostage by the phosphates in my tank.

If your concerned about flow then I might be willing to babysit your coral for you in my tank. :D

today I got 5 ricordias, one large purple zoanthid rock, one small i dunno what color it is.. its odd, and a fire fish. They all look very good. i am VERY pleased with the fire fish. he comes out, and he isnt skittish at all. he gets along well with the tank mates, and overall is a very colorful addition to the tank! on a sad note, the toadstool leather isnt looking so hot still.. *gulp* pics soon!

the toadstool is in the display at pet world. Ray took it. The raindord got eaten when i was in colorado. the fire fish didn't make it 24hrs. I think the crabs ate it. I think they may be the big culprits in the murder of my fish. I got rid of them and traded them for some snails. much more peaceful :) I'm thinking about getting another firefish. i dunno what the deal was with him. i have an established tank, good skimming, chemical and mechanical filtering, a refugium, 0 trites, 0 trates, 0 ammonia, 0 phosphates... stupid firefish!!! oh well..

a top down pic of the front
zooo036.jpg

Your leather is doing great in the tank. All the polyps have come out save for the very final tips unless they were small to begin with. It still doesnt fully inflate yet but everyday it looks better. Im sorry it wasnt working out in your new tank.

Was it always yellowish tan?

Your new tank looks good. Everything looks nice and I dig the mushrooms.

thanks ray!

the firefish i got from you is doing well... the montis have shown no sign of coral sadness, and I will probably be by sometime this week to say hi.

Back