My brother's huge sawfish

sloshesv

My brother caught a sawfish FRiday he estimates was 12' to 13' including the bill. Unfortunately the pics don't do it justice.

787420996b.jpg

There was a cobia hanging out with it.

237549bb13.jpg

6f6bfedb3e.jpg

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7496071#post7496071 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Redfish
To heck with the sawfish. Somebody throw that Cobia a bait!

Apparently that cobia was easy keeper size for reference. They threw everything and the kitchen sink at it with no luck. It stayed around for the whole fight and release, it knows it has a great meal ticket. The really interesting thing was that the fish would fight by swimming directly backwards, W$F?! My bro's nephew got the crap beat out of his stomach trying to get that in. I guess fightin' belts are for wussies where he's from.

glad to hear it was a catch and release! :D. coolest thing i have caught was a tiny shovel head shark. cool pics!

cool.. i caught a 7ft lemon off the pier at bonita springs.. took me 2 hours to land it cuz i had to walk down the pier and onto the shore

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7500823#post7500823 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rustybucket145
Incredible, was this out of Ft. Myers? And what was he using for bait?

It was right off of Sanibel and he picked up a chunk of mackeral.

You may want to call Mote Marine Lab to report the catch, they are doing an extensive research program on them. Sawfish are an endangered species, so they appreciate the help from other anglers in order to keep track of their numbers.

I know Gregg from the FWC Fisheries Independent Monitoring Charlotte Harbor field lab will be glad for a little more data. He works pretty closely with MOTE on this project and does alot of their sampling inthe CH area for them.

Back