My Bubble King skimmer is now overflowing?

John Hartford

Tonight I decided to do some tank maintenance and so I decided to clean out my skimmer. I took the collection cup off, and cleaned all the pipes of the dried salt, etc. I put it back together as I normally do and, when I turned the skimmer back on it is overflowing out of the collection cup. I already adjusted the pipes to the lowest level. I am not sure what I should do? Anyone else had this experience with their skimmer or with another BK skimmer?

Not familiar with the bubble kings but would putting an air valve and restricting the air flow reduce the overflowing? Or, is the water level going over the top?

yeah that makes sense, anytime you cut out the air the skimmer water level will rise. Your air silence probably needs cleaning. Try removing the hose from it, maybe the hose or air muffler is plugged.

The bubbles will rise only on insump models like the ones above. If it is an external model, restricting the air flow actually lowers the bubble level.

Jim

Sorry about the misunderstanding, thats what I meant.

I was just clarifying reefkoi's point further for humuhumu. I'm not sure if he understood why his recommendation wouldn't work for your BK.

Jim

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9237290#post9237290 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jimdogg187
Sorry about the misunderstanding, thats what I meant.

I was just clarifying reefkoi's point further for humuhumu. I'm not sure if he understood why his recommendation wouldn't work for your BK.

Jim

Thanks, Jim. When I had my ER in its stock configuration, cutting off the air made the water level rise. After modding it to a recirculation skimmer, cutting off the air actually lowers the water level. I guess the BK is not a recirculating skimmer.

hi, john,

i have an 200 external.

my experience is :-

let the overflow continues until it stops, and you will be back to the normal.

for an internal version, the overflow will go back to the sump through the drain and it is easy to take care.

for an external version, you have to direct the drain back to the sump until the skimmer resumes nornal.

the key is : when you begin the new step up, do not stop the skimmer because of overflow, just let it go through the process, i find this works.

Back