my clam has died

mtc1966

my derasa clam had beed doing great then went very fast. the only things i can think of that have changed in my tank are 1- i moved my galaxia coral close to the clam i know they can kill other corals but could they also kill a clam? 2 - i added 9 new blue legs and 1 scarlet hermit never had hermit bother it before .

my derasa clam had beed doing great then went very fast. the only things i can think of that have changed in my tank are 1- i moved my galaxia coral close to the clam i know they can kill other corals but could they also kill a clam? 2 - i added 9 new blue legs and 1 scarlet hermit never had hermit bother it before .

Sorry to hear it man. I never had hermits bother my clam either. I guess the coral is a suspect but also sometimes things just die no matter what we do. Circle of life.

Sorry about the loss. Smaller clams are harder to keep then larger ones. I read that its easier for smaller clams to catch disease. Is this one small?

Sorry for your loss. Did you happen to move it at all? A lot of times the foot will get damaged & it dies right after that. If a clam moves on it's own, it's not a problem.

yes it was moved but it was in sand still something may of happened. it was a smaller clam 3 inches and i got it at the frag farmers event.
i really did enjoy the clam but not sure if i want to try again.

Sorry to bear bout your clam bro. I have had four and they have done great so far. One I traded to a friend and I still have the other three going on over a year now. If you tore the byssal gland that my have done it in. but if you only tore the thread like anchors coming from the byssal gland then it was probably somthing else. Maybe not enough light or flow. Or perhaps a slightly elevated level of nitrate. Although most people say that clams are 100% photosynthetic most every website says to supplement phyto for them. I wouldn't throw in the towel after one semi bad experience I think my clams are some of the main attractions in my small tank.
GL man.

if it's only three months, and you moved it, it probably ahs been failing and finally just gave in. unfortunately, smaller clams are very difficult to keep, and at over 50 a pop it's tough to try again.

I agree with down hill for awhile, three inches or less do not run on algae from light yet to feed like large brothern do. They will look good right up until they starve to death.

If you were not feeding 1-20 micron microalgaes ,and or 1-200 micron oyster eggs in an established systm and or roti cultures alive and kicking for recipricle feedings. the little guys pay the price.

this was discussed at lenght to the masses at the Mohegan show we had this yr.

Best Fishes!

Seems that the people who most passionately state the need to feed clams are the ones selling food. James Fatherree's research says otherwise, that even the smallest tridacnids can get 100% of their nutrition from their zoozanthellae.

Not saying he's right, just offering up a different opinion for consideration. But I've read his book and his research does seem pretty thorough and more quantitative than what I've read in support of feeding.

I agree with down hill for awhile, three inches or less do not run on algae from light yet to feed like large brothern do. They will look good right up until they starve to death.

If you were not feeding 1-20 micron microalgaes ,and or 1-200 micron oyster eggs in an established systm and or roti cultures alive and kicking for recipricle feedings. the little guys pay the price.

this was discussed at lenght to the masses at the Mohegan show we had this yr.

Best Fishes!
Who talked about this? As Steve said, Fatherree said contradicting data during the conference, I believe the year before... Though it may have even been the year before that. He actually did research to support this claim, which is something I am yet to see anyone show to support the opposite claim. As Steve said, he showed that smaller clams found in the hobby (except for hippopus hippopus) produced enough energy, and even excess, from photosynthesis alone.

Back