My clowns wont host the anemone

RikyRiccardo

Hi there, I have a pair of black and white clown and a rose bubble tip anemone. I cant seem to get them to host it, they located themselves in a corner at the back and cant seem to change their mind. I trued the picture method but with no success.

Have any advice?

-Riky

First of, the anemone hosts the clownfish and not the other way around.
Second, it's kind of the wrong anemone for that species. The only anemone I have seen them in on pictures from the wild is S. gigantea. However, I have a pair that took a S. haddoni as host. But those had been in a coral before and seem to be more or less willing to accept everything.
Often it just takes time for them to accept a non-natural host so I would just wait and see.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

First of, the anemone hosts the clownfish and not the other way around.
Second, it's kind of the wrong anemone for that species. The only anemone I have seen them in on pictures from the wild is S. gigantea. However, I have a pair that took a S. haddoni as host. But those had been in a coral before and seem to be more or less willing to accept everything.
Often it just takes time for them to accept a non-natural host so I would just wait and see.

Thank you for your clarification.... i am new to the saltwater hobby and make many rookie mistakes. Will wait an see how it goes!

Sometimes you just have to leave them alone.....

Six months.....nothing......then one morn.....presto!

And sometimes never......just the way it is....

Have you tried the tube method, there is a video on youtube of someone having success with it. I think it comes down to being forced or having watched another clownfish do it. I just introduced a clownfish into my smaller tank with 2 existing clowns and it was known to host BTAs. Right away it hosted one of my BTAs and the other 2 within days started doing the same.

Have you tried the tube method, there is a video on youtube of someone having success with it. I think it comes down to being forced or having watched another clownfish do it. I just introduced a clownfish into my smaller tank with 2 existing clowns and it was known to host BTAs. Right away it hosted one of my BTAs and the other 2 within days started doing the same.
I would strongly advise against the tube method of forcing anemonefish into anemones. It is an especially bad idea with carpet anemones as those can and will eat anemonefish that are not acclimated to those anemones.

In my experience clownfish do not need to see other clowns in an anemone to associate with it, it is an intrinsic response, but clowns associating with a corner of the tank and comfortable there may or may not move to an anemone.

RBTA is not a natural host, so the pairing may take longer. But I have had 50+ 16 day old true percs go into a RBTA within minutes of being in a tank with one. Just let nature take its course.

The tube method works, and while I agree I would never use it with certain anemone (haddoni, gigantes, magnifica, to name some) I would do it with a bubble tip anemone. E. Quadricolor have a very mild sting and are far less likely to eat your clownfish in my experience. But do so at your own risk, and minimize it by using a large cylinder with plenty of room for the clown to stay out of the anemone if they need to.

Back