my dry goods order experience

PaxRoma

I placed a dry good order with DFS and paid for the standard shipping. According to the DFS website standard shipping is standard ground. I know from past experience that ground delivery to my place from Wisconsin is 3-4 days either UPS or Fedex. After the item were shipped, I was informed that part of my order is shipped via Fedex Ground which will come after 3 days but the more important part of the order is shipped via Fedex 'SmartPost'. When I look up on Fedex website I found out that this 'SmartPost' is actually regular mail and will take 7 days.
I called and asked about this, they said standard ground shipping includes: "Fedex Ground..and Fedex Smartpost". I complained about the big discrepancy (Fedex Ground take 3 days, Fedex Smartpost take 7 days) and was told that 7 days is still within their acceptable standard shipping policy for ground.
The issue remained unresolved and they never seem to understand my point of view that there is a big difference between 3 and 7 days.
All in all, I am disappointed at DFS dry good service, I feel that DFS saved a few bucks on shipping at the expense of customer expectation.

just my two cents..

Last edited:
PaxRoma,

Thank you for posting your concerns. We apologize for your dissatisfaction with your most recent order. Standard shipping is 4-7 business days. Your order is expected to be delivered within that timeframe. Your customer file has been coded with FedEx only for future ground deliveries. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to let us know.

Mike S.
Technical Support
Drs. Foster and Smith

Its not about I prefer Fedex only. I dont care if its Fedex or UPS. Its about:
1. Clearly state the shipping method the customer will be getting at order. That way the customer can better choose the appropriate shipping option.You can't group a service that take 3 days for delivery (Fedex Ground) with a service that take 7 days (Fedex Smartpost) into one thing called 'Standard Shipping'. This is misleading.
2. In this day and age, it is not very competitive of a company if it takes more than a week for product delivery when another company with the same distance, using the same carrier, with the same shipping & handling cost and item price can deliver an item in 4 days or less.
Here an example:
http://www.petsolutions.com/Replacement-T5-Bulbs+I42902106+C33.aspx

PaxRoma,
Thank you for taking the time to express yourself and voice your concerns. We understand that you are not pleased with SmartPost, therefore, we will not utilize this ground shipping service on your orders in the future. Your customer file was updated with this information after you spoke with a Manager yesterday afternoon.
We utilize FedEx, SmartPost, UPS, and USPS for our standard ground service deliveries. The carrier is not immediately determined when the order is placed in our system. After the order is placed and sent on to fulfillment, the system selects the carrier based on size, weight, destination, etc. As you are aware we quote 4-7 business days for ground service deliveries which applies to all of the shipping companies that we utilize.
Again, thank you for your time. We appreciate your feedback and we are hopeful that you understand that it is our goal to offer the best level of service to our customers. At the same time, in order to remain competitive with pricing and the services we offer, we, as a company find it necessary to ship orders via the most cost effective means while still delivering the goods in a timely manner.
Have a good day,
Cindy S.
Management Team

the package is delivered today by USPS a few hours before the Fedex Ground package, to my surprise. I guess Fedex system over estimated the delivery time. It's still showing a delivery time of next week when it actually only take 3 days.
Thanks.

Back