my first readings

mtc1966

tanks been going about two weeks . started it with ocean direct live sand and real sea water.

took my 1st readings today

ammonia 0.25
nitrate 20ppm
nitrite between 0 to .25 ppm
alkalinity 240 ppm
ph 8

waiting for that ammonia spike. but wonder if the combination of the live sand and real sea water will make it just a small quick spike or if the cycle will be a normal one??

any thoughts on that??

i have set up all my tanks starting with live sand and live water and liverock that has been in other tanks. i usually have little to no spike in any of them. i just started a 34g cube and transfered all the water from my 14g and all the liverock and just added new sand and filled up the tank with new live water and i had no cycle. it looks like you may be having your cycle now with 0.25 ammonia.

ammonia 0.25
nitrite between 0 to .25 ppm
nitrate 20ppm

If these are your readings you are cycling fast most likely due to the LR and LS. Ammonia and Nitrite are low and the presence of Nitrate means the necessary bacteria are there and breaking down waste.

Let ammonia and nitrite zero out and then add something for the bacteria to feed on.

I would do a water change and maybe throw a small cleanup crew or something in there. If you want you can just throw a little food in to rot here and there too. It doesn't matter too much, just something to feed the bacteria to keep their levels up.

Back