My First Saltwater Tank (10g nano reef)

theimpossibles1

Hello everyone my name is Luke and I want to share my tank with you. This post is very long and detailed. I want to be able to get fully informed feedback and I also want this to be a point of reference for anyone who is thinking about starting (or in the process of starting) a similar tank. Everything about this tank is designejustd around two main points - aesthetics and minimum cost.

I am a 15 year aquarist having kept several planted tanks and a Cichlid tank before and this year I decided to venture into saltwater. I have been lucky enough to go snorkeling in several beautiful reef areas such as Cozumel and Roatan and it is such a relaxing and beautiful experience, I had always wanted to have a small piece of that in my home.

I had been intimidated by all the folks who said saltwater is much more work, much more expensive, and requires a lot more equipment as opposed to freshwater. I did a lot of reading and video watching and was excited to discover that a small reef tank can be kept without any sump or skimmers or reactors etc. etc., so long as tank maintenance and patience were practiced. I am doing weekly 40% water changes and filter cleaning. I always found water changes, filter cleaning, and glass cleaning to be a peaceful and rewarding ritual, and after many years of freshwater experience I have learned the value of patience as it pertains to aquaria.

So at the beginning of 2017 I got started. I bought a 10 gallon tank [$10] and Omega one small marine pellets [$5] from Petco and spray painted the back with matte black paint [$5], which for me provides the perfect deep looking high contrast background (I have done this with all my tanks). At Ace hardware I bought four 5 gallon buckets with lids [$25]. I took to Amazon to purchase several items: -Two powerheads, (Koralia nano 240 [$21] and 425 [$20]) the 240 for the tank and the 425 for mixing saltwater. -Two heaters (tetra 50 watt 78 degree preset [$10] for mixing saltwater in bucket, and Aqueon 100 watt 78 degree preset [$16] for the tank). I went with the Aqueon because I have used that brand in the past with success and more importantly the all black design which goes with the background. -ATC refractometer [$21]. -API master saltwater test kit [$20]. -CNZ digital thermometer [$6]. -GE timer [$6]. -AquaNeat light, 18" full spectrum with 33 0.5 watt LEDs(I spent several days researching lights and finally settled on this one because it was $27 and will support basic low light corals). -Bonded polyfilter material 600 sq inch [$11]. -Glass aquarium cover [$17]. -Instant Ocean sea salt 200gallon [$35]. -Kent Lugols solution 1 oz (for dipping coral) [$10]. From the local fish store I bought 13lbs of rock (10 dry 3 live) [$29] and 10lb caribsea live aragonite sand [$16]. I fill all the buckets with RO/DI water in front of the grocery store which is $1.50 per 5 gallons.

I added the mixed saltwater which I set to 1.025 salinity. Then I added the rock and finally the live sand. The tank was very cloudy at first. I use a Penguin 150 hang on back filter (which I had from an old freshwater tank) with the polyfilter material. This helped clear the water within 24 hours. I tested the pH, ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates every other day. After about 3 weeks there was 0 ammonia and nitrites and the pH was steady at around 7.9. Temperature steady at 78 degrees. Here's the tank before adding any livestock:

At this point I added a small blue legged hermit crab. I continued to test the water every other day. After about two weeks of 0 ammonia and nitrites (and about 10-20 nitrates) I did a 50 % water change and the next day I went to the LFS and bought my first fish, a purple firefish:

After another week I found a local reefer who had a couple of corals on sale for $5 each. They are Green Star Polyps and Clove Polyps. I know it was soon to be adding corals but since these are inexpensive and very hardy types, I figured it was worth a try. The corals were dipped using the Lugols solution.

Green Star Polyps:

Clove Polyps:

The firefish was added about 2 weeks ago. I plan to add some sort of bottom dwelling fish in about another month or two. Any suggestions? I was thinking some sort of Goby or Blenny but I know my choices are quite limited in a 10 gallon tank. For corals I am considering Frogspawn, Hammer, and Torch corals and possibly Xenia and Zoanthids. I would love some suggestions and advice because I know with my tank size and lighting some of these could be challenging if at all possible.

Something very funny happened earlier when I fed the fish. He/she is becoming more and more bold, snatching a pellet from the surface and instantly darting to the bottom of the tank, but today it went for the first piece and instead of darting to the bottom of the tank it kept going clear out of the water and about 3 feet away onto the couch! I netted the little bugger and got it back in the tank within 20 seconds and it went right back to eating as if nothing happened šŸ˜‚.

Thanks for reading and thanks for your interest. I would be grateful for any feedback, suggestions, comments, questions etc. I will post more pictures as I add new livestock over the coming months.

Looks Good so far!

If you don't already have one, get a lid or a mesh top. Firefish are known jumpers/carpet surfers.

As many people are going to tell you both of those corals you have are seen as "weeds" meaning they are almost impossible to kill and will spread like wildfire. possibly to the point where they will be undesirable in the future when you get nicer more expensive pieces that start being damaged by the GSP and Cloves.... That being said I like the look of the GSP and will probably get a nice rock covered in it for my tank. But I plan to keep its rock isolated from the rest of my rock work so it will be easier to deal with when it tries to take over.

Also you are probably going to need a stronger light if you are going to go for more corals.

Tank looks good so far! And welcome to the salt world!

Thanks boosted. Yes I do have a glass cover. I have heard this about these corals. I plan to cut it back before it reaches any rocks, I am using it as a foreground carpet type coral.

Any fish shaped like a torpedo will jump, so watch out for that.

I would also highly recommend getting a hang on back refugium and growing chaeto the as a biological filter. You can get a cheap LED grow light to clip on the five on Amazon for cheap.

I find a good biological filter to be more effective on salt water tanks than mechanical filters. If you can fit a small protein skimmer try to do this day. Reef octopus has a decent nabi sized protein skimmer.

This is probably not necessary on a 10g tank, but at some point your may think about investing in an auto top off.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Hello! I've been in the same boat as you except my tank is a 5 gallon one. I started it last May, and it has been going smoothly ever since. To try to make it easier to read, I'll break this down into different categories.
Water: You may want to look into purchasing RO water from a reputable local fish store. The only reason why I'd advise that is because in the Grocery store they use copper pipes in their water purification system. And copper, as I'm sure you've read, is deadly to corals and invertebrates. For me, I had to purchase a 5 gallon water jug from my LFS($15) and refills are about $2.40.
Equipment: You did your research well! Just a few words of advice:
- Your powerhead is upside down(I have the same model). Also, Try to point the powerhead towards the flow of water coming out of your filter, so that way the water tumbles around. Corals and fish seem to like that.
- I had a similar light when I began my aquarium, and it worked out well for a while. I decided I wanted more powerful lights, so I upgrade to a PAR 38 Led Bulb. That's something you might want to look into.
Corals: Your choose some good first corals. While I've read all of the horror stories concerning GSP and Clove Polyps, I myself have GSP and Anathelia(Closely related) and I've found that they help suck up nutrients, keeping my aquarium more stable. While my Anathelia has gained some mass, my GSP is slowly spreading across one of my rocks.

Personally, my favorite part about the saltwater aquarium so far has been the diversity of life compared to a freshwater system. I love to just sit down and look at all the little bugs and dots that grow on my rocks.

Back