My Haddoni is a fish black hole

ssterling

I have a really nice Stichodactyla haddoni. I have had it for about 6 months in my 225G SPS tank. It is about 12"+ in diameter now but was much smaller when I bought it.

Only one problem,

The death toll now includes:

1 Ocellaris
6 Chromis
1 Blue Tang
1 Foxface
1 Gobie
2 Sand Sifting Sea Stars

Most of the deaths occurred during an abnormal series of power outages that I had.

On top of that my two saddlebacks actually feed it hermit crabs which is well into the teens judging by the shell grave yard around the anemone.

Needless to say I wish to part with the beautiful but deadly creature.

Anyone have any thoughts?

How to go about doing so. The forum won't let me post a thread to sell it since I don't have enough posts.

BTW, I found mixed feedback regarding the haddonis coexisting in a reef. Some have had years of success with no issues in systems like mine. Some noted deaths during outages as in my case. I went for it and tried many different thing to make it work but have not been successful. Thanks for the enlightened feedback though.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12870472#post12870472 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by 2OceanLovers
Check for a local forum around Seattle or get a friend with enough posts to put it in the sale forum for you.

Local forums ( on RC ) still have to follow the same rules, and having someone else post it for sale will is considered the same thing.

And for the record, after 9+ years of having Haddonis, I have only lost 2 fish.

There are some clubs that have there own website though. My local club has there own and one on here that is rarely used.

Do you have moonlights? I've found that helps.. Eating fish is what they do after all.. Its a "I am what I am" kinda thing...

I put a moonlight in about a month ago and I have had no deaths but my saddlebacks keep feeding it my hermit crabs which is a little irritating. Especially since they are doing so at a rate of about 1 crab every other day.

My blue Haddoni and green Haddoni are in my 58, with no moonlights. The blue one hosts a pair of pink skunks, the green one, nothing. Besides the clowns I have a potter's angel, multi-colored wrasse, and fuji golden blenny.

The 75 has my tan Haddoni which hosts a pair of clarkii's, no moon lights over that tank either.

I really wish I know what my secret was, and it isn't because the anemone aren't sticky, because they are like super glue if I touch them.

Here it is:

169592DSC01807.JPG

I really wish I know what my secret was, and it isn't because the anemone aren't sticky, because they are like super glue if I touch them.

Do you think the amount of feeding impacts the likelihood that they will end up killing fish that blunder into them?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13422283#post13422283 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Randy Holmes-Farley

Do you think the amount of feeding impacts the likelihood that they will end up killing fish that blunder into them?

In my case I don't think so. The reason being is that I am bad about my feedings. For a while I will fed them every week, then drop down to once every 3 weeks. Most of the time it is every 3 weeks.

Your best bet is a species type tank. Your Haddon and the pair of saddle clowns. Of course you could keep adding the crabs if you want to let your clowns help with the feeding. If I lived closer I'd offer to take it off your hands. I love big healthy carpet nems. Eating fish is what they do.........

I love it when the clowns "help" by feeding their host anenome.

Do they feed it chunks of mysis shrimp?

Re: My Haddoni is a fish black hole

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12868589#post12868589 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ssterling
The death toll now includes:

1 Ocellaris
6 Chromis
1 Blue Tang
1 Foxface
1 Gobie
2 Sand Sifting Sea Stars

Most of the deaths occurred during an abnormal series of power outages that I had.

I don't understand ?

Did the power outage kill the fish ?
Did the anemone kill the fish ?

Back