my Iwo Jima trip

vest0830

Premium Member
Quite an eventful/breathtaking experience. Cant really describe it. The pics should....

IWOJIMAFeb16272.jpg

IWOJIMAFeb16269.jpg

IWOJIMAFeb16268.jpg

IWOJIMAFeb16262.jpg

IWOJIMAFeb16230.jpg

IWOJIMAFeb16122.jpg

IWOJIMAFeb16119.jpg

Awesome pics Frank, I see your getting the hang of it real quick... did you shoot all those in manual mode...?

I'm just getting the hang of taking "tank" pictures, it's very complicated taking "nice" closeup pics of things inside thick glass and tiny particles.

Let me know if you need some help on what settings to setup the camera on and so forth.

Thanks! Some were shot in manual mode, some weren't. Of course all of those went through photoshop before posting them on the internet...but they all get the same treatment. Auto contrast/sharpen. I am slowly getting the hang of the camera. Every weekend we go out and take pics of something somewhere. I think I have taken about every angle of American Village that can possibly be taken...I think one week im going to take off up north and just shoot all day long. Walk down through a village or something . That would be a good time I think. I might take you up on the advise sometime though...

I have yet to be able to take any close up shots of my tank with the camera.....but say if there was a flower outside, I could get a close up of it...bugs the hell out of me. I have tried and tried to get close up shots of my coral but just cant seem to capture anything. Really bugs me.

OK here you go, these couple steps will better yyour tank shots tenfold.

1. Use a TRIPOD, and camera has to be PERPENDICULAR to whatever you are shooting. <<<------ very important

2. Set you camera at the LOWEST ISO setting, 100 preferably.

3. Put your lens on Macro.

4. you want speed around 1/30 and aperature around 11 or higher if possible.

5. set up your timer, or remote and shoot away.
play with aperature for best shots, not speed, unless it's a fish your shooting.

6. Again, Make sure your camera is perpendicular to your subject.

1. do it already.
2. havent tried it, will do
3. i always try to manually set it, never tried a nikon macro setting...why I dont know...makes perfect sense.
4. will try
5. will try
6. refer to #1.

thanks for the advise! I will try again tonight!!

All of these pics were taken without a tripod. I probably could have carried it, just didnt think it was very practical. If I ever go again, and were not walking everywhere...I will take it.

Back