My JBJ 28 Gallon LED Intermediate Nano Cube

ldsaylor

Hello All. This is my first post to Reef Central as you can see. I just recently found the site and there is lots of great information on here. So thank you to all of you for your posts and info. I have learned alot in the past couple weeks while browsing through many of the threads.

I figured I would throw a few pics up of my 28 Gallon LED Nano Cube. I got the intermediate series instead of the advanced which came with the stand for free a little over 6 months ago. Figured I would save a few bucks from the Advanced version. Although I know that will eliminate me from ever getting SPS corals..

After I got the saltwater in the tank I added about 20 pounds of live sand and close to 30 pounds of Live Fiji Rock that I got from the local fish store (which is only about 1 mile from my house). I monitored the tank for the first couple weeks expecting a cycle but I really didn't get much of one at all. I assume I did not see a spike in my levels because the Live Rock was only out of water for maybe 15 minutes total?

After 2 weeks I added a clean up crew as there was a little hair algae growing. Put in 10 Nerite Snails, 10 Hermits, 1 Fire Shrimp, and a few Asteria Snails. They took care of the algae pretty quick. A week later I added one Percula Clown and a feather duster. Followed about a week later by another clown and a firefish. The firefish unfortunately died after a few days. No clue why. The parameters were fine.

I am now a little over 6 months in. Just 2 weeks ago I added a Rose Bubble Tip Anemone, a small Maxima Clam, and a red scooter blenny. I have some Zoa's, Hammer Coral, Torch Coral, and a couple other LPS Corals I have been adding over the last few months. I kind of wish I would have researched the anemone a little more as I was hoping the clowns would host in it. So far they have barely even looked at it. And from what I have read Perculas aren't a perfect fit for BTA. Oh well. At this point they just host one of the powerheads. Hopefully someday they will go in there..

I added a MP 10 powerhead which is awesome and upgraded to the IN Tank Media Basket where I run filter floss, purigen, and chemipure elite from top to bottom. That IN Tank Media Basket is so much nicer than the original! Would highly recommend it to anyone who gets this tank. So far I have not added a Skimmer as I do 15% water changes every 10-14 days and so far my parameters and water has looked good.

Here are my current parameters as tested today and some pics. Any feedback or suggestions would be great. Sorry if the pics aren't the best. I need to upgrade cameras soon.. Thank you for reading!

Luke

Salinity 1.025
Temp 78-80
PH 8.2
Ammonia 0
Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0
Phosphate 0
Calcium 480
Alk 161 ppm

Front Shot

Blackvanandtank017.jpg

Clowns

Blackvanandtank013.jpg

Feather Duster

Blackvanandtank014.jpg

Red Scooter Blenny - This guy is so fun to watch scoot around the tank

Blackvanandtank018.jpg

Some Zoas

Blackvanandtank023.jpg

More Zoas (green)

Blackvanandtank025.jpg

Torch

Blackvanandtank029.jpg

Hammer

Blackvanandtank027.jpg

Small Maxima Clam

Blackvanandtank028.jpg

And lastly my Rose Bubble Tip. Nestled toward the bank of the tank which is kind of a bummer. But they go where they want I guess so I gotta live with it!

Blackvanandtank015.jpg

ldsaylor

Do have to give JBJ some credit. Shortly after posting this 2 days ago my daytime LED's just went out. I actually smelled smoke coming from the canopy. So something obviously got fried in the wiring or something. I was worried about how long it would take for me to get this replaced because of all the corals and everything. I called JBJ and since I live in So Cal they let me bring the canopy by the office and they replaced it with a brand new one right on the spot covered under warranty. Thought this was good customer service.

bry2001us

How is your clam doing with the LED intermediate? I am concerned that the light output would not be enough?

My daylights went out as well, I was able to drive to JBJ and they replaced the ballast while I waited. Very cool!

Thanks!

ldsaylor

Well it has been several months since I posted about the tank. Had a problem shortly after my first post I added a wrasse to the tank not realizing it had ich. Infected and killed all the fish in the tank. Bummer! All of the inverts and corals were fine. I waited over a month before adding more fish.

Since the initial percula clowns never hosted the bubble anemone I did some more research and added a maroon clown and it hosted right away! Very cool. I also added a Sixline Wrasse. Very fun fish always swimming around the tank and picking off the rocks. And a Bangai Cardinal. All 3 of these fish have been in the tank over 3 months and do great together. About 2 weeks ago I added a blue spotted jawfish. Really love the look of these fish!! They are so cool. He is doing great so far. Has dug himself some nice tunnels under the rock work but spends most of the day with his head poked up from out of the rock between the maxima clam and the hammer coral waiting for food to float by. He will go for a casual swim around every once in awhile too.

As you can see from the before and after pics many of the corals have grown substantially in 4-5 month period. I really notice when I look back on these old pics. Here are a few pics from today!

IMG_0526.jpg

IMG_0524.jpg

IMG_0525.jpg

IMG_0523.jpg

IMG_0522.jpg

IMG_0518.jpg

IMG_0509.jpg

IMG_0513.jpg

IMG_0515.jpg

IMG_0516.jpg

ldsaylor

The torch really colored up as well as the hammer. Have you noticed much movement with the clam?

Yeah. I am really happy with my coral growth. The torch is almost getting so big I don't know where I am going to move him. The clam has never moved on me. I read that maxima clams like rock work. So I found a nice little crevice for him and he settled in nicely. I think he has grown a little. When he opens and closes sometimes I notice his shell moving around a little.

ldsaylor

beautiful tank, everyone says anemones move around until they find a good spot, is it weird mine never moves?

It's weird. Mine stayed in the same spot for like 3 months. Then I wake up one morning and he moved to the other side of the tank. Didn't stink anything though. And I really like where he ended up now. Been solid there for almost 2 months.

hipertec

Do you have an update of how this tank is doing now? I'm very interested in one myself. Thanks!

I would advice NOT to get a JBJ 28 gallon tank if that is what you are asking.

I have a 28LED Pro version and the design of the hood light is flawed. (see my other post). Their customer service is crap and if not fixed, you will eventually lose all the LED lights as they will all go out after. This was told by them to me, even thou in their manual it states up to 10 years and 50K hrs. They will only cover up to the first year and then it will cost $70 for 1 strip of 5 LEDS.

Go with the NUVO all in one tanks. 100 times better than the JBJ Nanocube tanks!!

aznflyfisherman

Your red scooter blenny is in the dragonet family, he will need pods to survive even if he eats frozen food, he will slowly starve. Your tank look great..

stacerbean

I would advice NOT to get a JBJ 28 gallon tank if that is what you are asking.

I have a 28LED Pro version and the design of the hood light is flawed. (see my other post). Their customer service is crap and if not fixed, you will eventually lose all the LED lights as they will all go out after. This was told by them to me, even thou in their manual it states up to 10 years and 50K hrs. They will only cover up to the first year and then it will cost $70 for 1 strip of 5 LEDS.

Go with the NUVO all in one tanks. 100 times better than the JBJ Nanocube tanks!!

Thanks for your thoughts hipertec. I'll look at them also.

hipertec

Just be very careful with any jbj led hood Nanos. If one strip is out.. Eventually all of them will go out and JBJ will charge you the cost of a new hood when you call them unless it's under 1 year and registered.
Definitely go with Nuvo. Costs more and hard to find used but well worth it. I wish I went with them.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Bishopsnet

How is your six line getting along? I want one in my 28g I'm staring next month but I here mixed reviews about their aggressiveness. Also is that purple veiny looking thing next to your blue spot the clam? It looks awesome!

Bishopsnet

Just be very careful with any jbj led hood Nanos. If one strip is out.. Eventually all of them will go out and JBJ will charge you the cost of a new hood when you call them unless it's under 1 year and registered.
Definitely go with Nuvo. Costs more and hard to find used but well worth it. I wish I went with them.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

So, can I replace the LED strips on the hood with better quality ones or is it an electrical problem with the hood that will cause to have to remove and go with something else?