My JBJ 6 gallon build....

I just restarted my JBJ Nanocube 6gal again.

Here's my thread, not much to see. Just a pile of rocks for now.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2052802

Of course, you don't see all of the work that I had already put into the little tank in the past.

I did do a lot of modifications to this tank. I put in a DIY LED into the hood by copying most of the concept from nano-reef, 2 power supply to turn on the white and blue separately. It's really nice to also be able to dim the lights to allow for the exact color. I also swapped out the stock return pump, and put in a Minijet 606 pump...straight swap. I have another Minijet 606 pump in the first chamber to feed the 1/15 external chiller. I drilled a hole in the 3rd chamber to return the flow from the chiller directly back into the front tank. Then I cut/peeled off the back mask on the 2nd chamber, and have a small light attached on the outside of the 2nd chamber. I will grow Chaeto in the 2nd chamber with rubble rock on the bottom. The 1st chamber also has a 50w heater, a bag of carbon and a bag of phosphate remover. The 3rd chamber also has a tunze osmolator to auto-topoff, which I push through my DIY Kalkwasser chamber.

My next project would be to have an auto water changer. With the bare-bottom, I feel that frequent water changes are necessary. I just can't find a cheap dual head pump right now. But it is definitely on my list since I don't have much time to devote to the tank with the baby.

For now, I don't plan on having any fishes. I don't want the extra bioload for the algae to grow. So this would mean my tank is going to be fairly boring looking for awhile. I don't recommend having so many snails either, it just adds to the bioload, and creates more fuel for the algae. Just do water changes, and pull it out by hand. You are trying to remove as much fuel as possible.

Last edited:
Clarkii3.... After all the algae is gone I will keep one or two of the turbos... Since the tank is looking alot better I will be on top of changing my bulbs when need be. I do need to buy all the right test kits... Right now I do not have any. I would like a RO/DI unit but since I only have a 6 gallon I do not think I need it that bad. I am running phosban. I am thinking about trying a different RO/DI supplier.

ir danno22... If I add one of those crabs would it eat the snails/shrimp?

jimbo327... I will for sure be following your build thread

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jk16bt4GmHY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

here is a vid... recorded with an Evo 3D

My lightfoot crab minds it's own business and leaves everyone alone. I have a clown, 3 damsels, 2 snails, a few hermits, a cleaner shrimp various corals and 3 clams and none of them are bothered by the crab. I really don't see this guy until the lights are out or food is available. It does freak me out when it molts and I think it's died but it later shows up when it's hungry. My hermits take care of the smaller brown hair looking algae on the rocks and frag disks. Astrea snails are good but tend to get attacked and eaten by the hermits.

Looks like you have quite diverse amount of algae in your tank.
df

I thought my tank was looking better but i did notice i do have a bunch of different algaes.... Not good at all... I might try lightfoot crab

The Turbos did a number on all the algae I had. I will be giving them all away except maybe one or two. My next thing is debating about taking out the sand or leaving it.

IMAG0208.jpg

Any thoughts about what to do next?

Next step

Next step

Hey man,
My first tank (11 years ago) I started out with a 5 gallon nano then went to a 20 gallon and after that upgraded to a 46 gallon bowfront. All saltwater, it's been a few years since I have been out of the hobby due to work and marriage. Now that I am settled, I am getting back into the hobby, my weapon of choice? A 6 gallon jbj nano cube, I plan on doing a build thread very soon and have read thru yours very carefully.

To answer your question is quite simple, always go with your gut feeling.
You want to glue stuff down as in the rocks, coral etc...? After that you'll want to do something else, it's called the "itch". Your itching to do something or something to your tank. Eventually, you'll want to upgrade to a bigger tank, we all do sooner or later. When that happens, sell me your hood! :) Haha

Honestly, your tank is fine the way it is, have you thought about getting your tank parameters right for a nice carpet anemone? Or a long tentacle yellow anemone? You could pick up 2 baby perc. clowns and have them host it as the center piece? Since u had 2 already that would look great in your nano and be fun to watch. Or, maybe even a frogfish aka angler fish. Smaller species of course the kind that reaches 3 inches in length they are quite unique and would pose a little bit of a challenge to keep in a 6 gallon. Since you seem very dedicated it can and has been done.

Think about it, and keep an eye out for my build very soon.
Peace, Nano man

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/UW1vDLXCybg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back