My mantis, dead or alive? (and Pseudosquilla ciliata advice please)

To be honest he's straight yellow like the second from last photo.. my white balance and photoshop was making him a bit orange in the other pics :)

Ah yeah mine is pretty yellow as well. I feed mine peppermint shrimp damsels and other cheap shrimps and small fishes I can find at the store. I usually get a few and then feed them really good flake foods (because they are small) and eventually the population dwindles. I find the best way to give your mantis the nutrition is needs is with live food, luckily I live near a large selection of stores to get these at.

I have a P. ciliata too and she's just great. She's VERY green and used to have a white stripe down her back, but that's gone now. Mine is in a 10g too and seems to be happy; 3+ inch aragonite sandbed, lots of rubble and some halimeda and she currently lives with a blue damselfish. They haven't gotten into any skirmishes so far (it's been over a year). Varied diet is definitely important for stomatopods.

Beautiful tanks and beautiful pics. Do you use a macro lens to get them so crisp?

Nope, a macro lens is on my wishlist though!! I tend to shoot fishy pics with my Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8. To be honest i'm pretty self critical and don't think the above pics are great, but they were shot hand-held without flash (apart from one).

Haven't posted on this thread for some time so thought i'd share a few photos before Spike gets her new tank (yes, Spike is a she!!).. Tank is looking a bit grubby now so the new one will be a refreshing change (moved house, re-arranged, Spike has demolished!).. Just phone pics i'm afraid :)

IMG_20100731_185558.jpg

IMG_20100731_185636.jpg

IMG_20100731_185709.jpg

IMG_20100731_185921.jpg

IMG_20100731_185946.jpg

IMG_20100731_190001.jpg

IMG_20100731_190156.jpg

Back