My MH light is missing it's UV glass...how bad is that?

pjewett

aquariablog
Hi All,

Recently I had gotten myself into a big rush with a water change and as I was dumping fresh RO water back in the tank some splashed up and hit the UV glass that protects the bulb and innards of my K-2 Viper 150W MH clamp on light.

I immediately heard that dreaded crackle as the UV plate shattered but did NOT drop any glass in the tank. With my patience now returned I carefully pulled the light away from the tank and unscrewed and removed the broken glass.

I've ordered a replacement via JbjNanoCubes.com but I'm having a hell of a time actually getting it. I ordered almost 2 weeks ago and it's not shipped out yet. I've inquired about this but I'm getting the run around and now they're actually ignoring me and I've only inquired once!

Anyway I have 2 questions.

1. Anyone know where else I can get this replacement glass?
2. It's my understanding that this UV glass is protecting me and my livestock from harmful UV rays. It's been 2 weeks now that they (and I) have been exposed. How worried should I be? I have close to 20 different species of coral plus fish and inverts and they all SEEM OK right now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

walkthedog

Can you get a local glass company to cut you a replacement. Shouldn't be more than a few $s. Most glass companys carry UV glass.

rsisman

I have heard that it can burn the corals in your tank. I am not sure. Just tagging along, I wanna know for myself.

guppychao

i have also heard it depends on what type of bulbs you use, some mogel based bulbs have a uv protectant incorporated.

not sure either, just tagging along

jthomps123

When i first got my tank with Aqualite 150w DE's i didnt use protection and if REALLY ****ed off the softies and mushrooms that were in the tank. Took weeks maybe months for many of them to fully recover. SInce then they'd been covered with 1/8" plate glass from Lowes. One day a piece got shifted and left a 1/4" unprotected gap in the middle of one side, it took only 1 day to bleach a couple SPS, probably would have killed them had I not noticed it soon enough enough. The SPS have since recovered.

Im suprised you havent noticed any ill effects. I personally would not dare run DE's bare-bulbed ever again.

rsisman

It also depends on what type of MH. If it is regular mogul type they usually are better off with UV protection. I think the bulbs are coated. But the HQI ones have really high UV, so a glass is required.

john rochon

okay, some miss information here, I'm not sure what lamp your are running but here is the RIGHT info.
DE LAMPS, NEED THE GLASS. I'm almost certain its just regular glass but ask a glass company. DO NOT take this for granted , you can ruin your eyes and kill your tank.

SE LAMPS AKA MOGUL. are fine because they have glass around them and do not need a shield

TitusvileSurfer

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14146601#post14146601 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by DRoy1124
i cant imagine it being TOO bad....the sun sure does give off alot of UV haha
But we have several filters, namely a magnetic field and an ozone layer. You would fry faster than an ant under a magnifying glass without them.

tkeracer619

Premium Member
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14146601#post14146601 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by DRoy1124
i cant imagine it being TOO bad....the sun sure does give off alot of UV haha

Wrong!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14146704#post14146704 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by john rochon
okay, some miss information here, I'm not sure what lamp your are running but here is the RIGHT info.
DE LAMPS, NEED THE GLASS. I'm almost certain its just regular glass but ask a glass company. DO NOT take this for granted , you can ruin your eyes and kill your tank.

SE LAMPS AKA MOGUL. are fine because they have glass around them and do not need a shield

Correct

tankslave

All lamps sold to the aquarium industry are double jacketed, which prevents most UV from coming through. Any glass that's not quartz stops almost all UV B and C. You'll get some UVA still, even with single ended mogul socket lamps. I usually request "Low-E" glass at the glass shop, which should kill any remaining UVA.

pjewett

aquariablog
I'm not going to take it for granted. I've felt the sense of urgency to replace this from the beginning but I've only been able to find one vendor that sells them and they are conducting themselves as if there operating out of their mom's basement.

I'm going to try to get to Home Depot here in Queens this week and see if I can get a piece cut. Having grown up in NH and lived in several other parts of the country I must say that the level of expertise at these places in NYC is abysmal.

I know the odds of finding someone to cut me a piece of glass are much better than KNOWING that it's UV treated. Don't know how to determine that apart from taking their word for it.

Look at all this drama over a piece of glass. JBL shouldn't be making it this hard.

Thanks to all for the input.

pjewett

aquariablog
:)

It's the livestock I'm concerned for. I'm only home for a few hours of the 8 that the MH's are on.

Emory Speight

In Memoriam
Personally I would not operate an hqi bulb without a glass shield.I would give the corals some other temporary source of light until the lens problem was resolved. Even more importantly is the possible damage that an unshielded hqi bulb can do to your eyes. The only hqi bulb that I know of that does not require a shield is the Astralux 70w hqi . I've always understood that clear plate glass was sufficient to filter out the uv and so I have always made sure that the shields I use are tempered glass to prevent shatter in case of contact with water while hot. I have a Viper 70w lense that I no longer use but I don't know if it will fit your 150w.

pjewett

aquariablog
Well I just heard back from the supplier and the lens is backordered. Guess I have no choice but to try a Home Depot or something.

Just need to figure out the measurements now and hope this will be a quick thing. What a hassle.

I guess I should add "tempered" to my order?

greenbean36191

Premium Member
Yep, you do not need any sort of special coated glass or anything. Regular plate glass already filters out around 97% of UV-B and UV-C. However, plate glass doesn't stand up well to the heat of MHs. Even without water splashed on it, it will shatter from the heat alone in most hoods. You want tempered. Unfortunately, you can't just have sheets of tempered glass cut to size, so you won't find what you're looking for at HD. You have to cut the glass to size and then temper it. Most glass shops can't do this in-house, so you may be looking at another week of waiting.

pjewett

aquariablog
Couldn't have been tempered that was in there in the first place could it have been? They way it crackled like a car windshield when the water hit it.