My mushroom... is this bad? (Pictures)

ek9vboi

I recently got it yesterday and its fine. Few questions...

1) Mr. Hermie decides to rock climb all over it and it seems to be putting out stuff from its center/mouth.

03-10-2006MushroomCoral023.jpg

03-10-2006MushroomCoral021.jpg

03-10-2006MushroomCoral020.jpg

2) It seems to show some type of flowery thing:

03-10-2006MushroomCoral027.jpg

03-10-2006MushroomCoral013.jpg

I was thinking the stuff it is putting out is a defense for itself. Kind of a way for it when it comes to stinging other corals... that or its bad news for me. i'm might have to end up getting rid of Mr. Hermie or putting something over it. Someone just tell me its good please. lol

some Hermie action:

03-10-2006MushroomCoral032.jpg

Depending on how you acclimated the mushroom (temp, drip, etc) they will sometimes expell their innards thus showing that they are VERY unhappy while they are adjusting to their new surroundings.:eek1:

Mine usually got over it in a couple of hours and were back to normal in no time.

As for the flowery looking thing...they will fold themselves up when something lands on them (food, hermit, etc) in a kinda defense mechanism.

Mushrooms are pretty tough for the most part. Just give him some time and it should be alright:p

They'll spew their guts out like that if they've been irritated. I have never seen one die after doing so, however. They usually just slime away when they go.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6929475#post6929475 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Jive Turkey
They'll spew their guts out like that if they've been irritated. I have never seen one die after doing so, however. They usually just slime away when they go.

I think its because mine is irratated because of the hermit crab crawling all over it. This only happens to the mushrooms what the crab was on it. But overall, since I put the muchrooms in... it has not behaved anything like this. I guess it will be ok.

I really want to cut a few of them and move it around, but for now I want it to get a feel for the tank before I do. Do mushrooms like water flow?

They like some flow, but not major that its rippling their edges or anything.

If they don't like where you have placed them, they can dettache themselves and move to where the feel more comfortable...this is a cool bonus for fragging them! LOL

Back