My New 105G

texhorns98

OK, so after only a few months with my 70G, I'm already itching to get a bigger tank. I've found a builder who will custom make me a tank for a great price and I have settled (I think!) on 48Lx21Dx24H. I wanted more depth than a 90, but a 120 proved to be pretty intrusive in the living room!

I have pretty much full control over customizing this tank, and I would like some advice. I can choose how many and the location of my overflows and can also add a closed loop to the tank. I plan on going eurobraced (also at no extra charge). Questions:

1. One or two overflows? If one...in the middle?
2. Closed loop or no? I don't know much about them, but I like the idea of losing most, if not all of my PHs.
3. I am going with a slightly oversized stand so I can bump up my sump/fuge size. Can you ever have too big a sump? :)

Could still have a 120 wide. That's what I run, 48x24x24. I would only run one overflow in the corner. That is just a personal choice. I don't like having just one in the middle because I always have problems with aquascaping. I have seen some that look fine though. Dual overflows are not neccesary on a tank that size. If you do decide to run two you would most certainly have to reduce the bulk head size otherwise your turn over rate may be a little high.

And no there is no such thing a too big a sump. The larger the water volume the easier it is to maintain your water Par. Plus it leaves you extra room for added gadgets.

Thanks, longdangler.

Yeah, the 120 wide was what I was looking at. It may seem silly, but that extra 3 inches makes a big difference to my wife (pipe down fellas!). What do you think about adding a CL? Where should I put the bulkheads for that if I add it? If I run a single overflow in the middle, I will probably have two drains and two returns drilled. I plan on making a foam rock wall, so aquascaping shouldn't pose a problem there.

Is there another forum I should post this? Or is there something against me posting on here? Seems like I've had trouble the past few times I've posted a question!:(

Back