My New 20 gallon Reef (lots of photos!)

SLHerch

Hello Everyone!

I wanted to take a quick moment to share my 20 gallon reef with all of you. I thought it might be neat to go through step by step and show some pictures along the way. You'll have to pardon me if I get carried away, but I am very excited about this new tank.

My previous tank was a 55 gallon drilled tank with corner overflow. It was a great tank, but far too big for my new apartment. I didn't have room for a four foot tank, as well as a refugium and sump. I decided to downsize a bit to the 20 gallon. I chose a 20 gallon high tank because I could fit it in a (roughly) 24x12 footprint. This meant that instead of taking up a whole wall with fish stuff, I could have one small piece of furniture in a corner or on a short wall. (very important compromise with the girlfriend!)

My plan was to be able to support the corals that I have now, along with my two clownfish (both over 3 years old now!). I also wanted a setup that I could grow into some hard corals with. My lighting system is made by Odyssea, and it is a 175watt Metal halide with two 18 watt Actinics and two moonlights. I like the fact that they all came in one small hood that attaches to the top of the tank with little extension legs. It is a much cleaner look than the previous hanging hood that I had, and it gives me plenty of intensity for hard corals.

Light Fixture as viewed from bottom:
106765PICT2352.JPG

I also wanted a relatively stable system in as small of a footprint as possible. This meant maximizing water volume and filtration, while minimizing overall space. I chose a 16 gallon extra high tank as my sump/refugium. As you can see (way) below, it fits pretty perfectly inside of my stand.

Completed Sump/Refugium:
106765PICT2331.JPG

I custom made the stand from western red cedar. I bought the boards rough and planed them down to make a nice finished look. I made the frame of the stand out of 2x3's, which have plenty of strength to support the weight of this tank. I also used metal angles to attach the 2x3's to the base and top frame. This method seems to be faster and easier than using a pocket-hole or toenail technique. Plus, they will be covered up by my basin.

Base and top plates with legs cut:
106765PICT2316.JPG

Galvanized Angles for connections:
106765PICT2317.JPG

Completed Frame:
106765PICT2319.JPG

Using a router, I beaded the top skirt trim and then put a recessed bead on the top rail. I also put a recessed bead on the bottom trim to give it a nice custom look:

Top Skirt Trim:
106765PICT2322.JPG

Bottom Molding:
106765PICT2323.JPG

Completed Cabinet (minus door):
106765PICT2321.JPG

Continued...

One neat feature that I put into this system was a fiberglass lined basin in the base of the stand. This allows an overflow of the sump, without getting water all over my floor. I used 3/8" birch plywood to make the walls and sides, and then used fiberglass mat and resin to seal it. The entire basin holds about 5 gallons of water, or about 2.5 with the sump in place. This isn't a ton, but the sump has about 2.5 extra gallons of space as well, allowing plenty of comfort room in case of power failures or other problems.

Basin framed up:
106765PICT2333.JPG

Basin with Fiberglass in place:
106765PICT2334.JPG

Basin with Smoothed Glass:
106765PICT2335.JPG

Plumbing the tank was relatively simple. I used hard lines above the stand, and connected them to flexible tubing under the stand. I used 3/4" pipe on the drain side, and 1/2" on the return. I forgot to install check valves in the return side, but that will be a project for another time. Here are some plumbing pictures:

Return Line:
106765PICT2336.JPG

Flexible return head:
106765PICT2338.JPG

Fully Plumbed:
106765PICT2340.JPG

And the conclusion...

Once I was fully plumbed, I let the solvent and silicone set for a couple days and went to work getting water mixed and ready for the transfer. I used 50% water from my old tank, and 50% new salt water. I did end up using plenty of live sand and about 40 lbs. of live rock from my old system. I also was able to use a whole bunch of macro-algea for my refugium. If this tank is anything like my last, I'm sure this stuff will take off!

Tank with dry sand:
106765PICT2341.JPG

Refugium shot, during daylight:
106765PICT2356.JPG

It took about a day for the water to get clear, but right now (1 week later) it looks crystal clear! Below are some pictures of the tank as it stands right now under full lighting. I love the blue look of this new light fixture. Not sure how it will affect coral growth, but for now I'll stick with it.

Full tank shot:
106765PICT2375.JPG

Clowning Around:
106765PICT2374.JPG

Scroll Coral, placed directly under light: (opinions on placement?)
106765PICT2373.JPG

Xenia, Green Zoa's and Crusting Gorgonian:
106765PICT2377.JPG

Yellow Zoa's and Crusting Gorgonian:
106765PICT2378.JPG

I guess now the only thing left to do is finish the cabinet door, and plumb in the check valve on the return side. The door will be clear cedar with a raised panel and beaded trim. I'll post some pics when I finish it.

For those of you who have actually read this far, thanks very much for looking! Hope you've enjoyed some of these pictures as much as I am enjoying this setup. Any and all comments are appreciated! Thanks for all of your help!

Steve

I really like the fiberglass :thumbsup:
Really nice DIY tank, are you sure that's an encrusting gorgonian? I thought it was GSP at first glance then Galaxia, but I'm not an expert on these species. Just mentioned it so those that are experts might comment :)

I'm just about to silicon my sump up. How do you get the bubble trap baffels in place so nice. Not sure how to get the silicon that far down.

Hi,

Thanks for all the compliments!

TimTen: The silicone was tough, On each end panel I had enough room to work pretty easily. I put down a heavy layer of silicone, then pressed it into the joint with my finger. Three of the panels were easy, the middle baffle panel was the tough one. I worked on the ends first, then put in the first baffle on the outflow side of the 'fuge. It left me with only 3" between the two bubble trap baffles, but it was enough to make the middle one work. I put a bead of silicone down and then slid it into place. Then I used a long scrap of wood to press the silicone in and level it out.

afromage5000: The overflow is just a simple one that I got from That fish place. It is made by CPR, and is rated to 300 gallons per hour. It acts like a simple siphon. You remove the air from the part that goes over the back of the tank, and the water will flow through it down to the lower level of the drain. It has worked pretty well so far. No skimmer yet, but that is a purchase I am hoping to make by the end of the week (need another paycheck).

Along those lines, does anyone have a small skimmer that they really like? I need a hang on model, or something that has a footprint less than 6x6 inches for the sump. . Thanks!

Steve

Anyone else have any good skimmers they can recommend for a small volume tank? I would like to have a skimmer on this tank by the end of the week. Thanks for all of your help!

Steve

I love that Sohal Tang in your 20!!! :smokin: Has your Green Carpet Anemone ever try to eat your Maroon Clownfish? Also, how does that Bubble King 650 external handle that bioload?

Back