My new 700 gallon system build

sniceley

This system has been a long time coming. I bought the tanks when I bought my house three years ago, but the wife told me that I couldn't set them up until the basement was finished. She knew once they were up that I wouldn't be very motivated to finish the rest of the basement. I am a PhD student in Zoology at Michigan State University, with a side business in aquarium design, setup, and maintenance. Needless to say it took me a while to save up the funds for this project, but it is starting to take shape now. The bottom two stock tanks on the left are for holding corals and coral frags for me to sell through the business, as well as housing additional fish and inverts for sale which have gone through quarantine. The tanks themselves are two identical 245 gallon tanks (72 x 30 x 27). At this time they are illuminated by twin bulb T5 shoplights. This is for two reasons. First, I attached a couple of pictures which show the rest of the basement to illustrate how my wife got involved and the budget for the lights was consumed. Secondly though, I figure that keeping a lower light for the first 6 months or so will allow me to get the coraline growth up on the rocks and back walls some, and let the dead rock seed itself much better before the corals start going in. Having the two tanks also allows me to keep species that might not be so coral safe on the right side with corals that are either less likely to be bothered or ones that I don't really mind if they get chewed on some. Also the rock work is not nearly done yet. I am waiting on the mortar from Marco that was left off of the shipment. There are about clowns (4 Wyoming Whites, 4 Spotcintus, 4 Red Sea, 2 Darwin misbars, 4 regular ocellaris) and 4 orchid dottybacks (a pair on each side) direct from Sea and Reef. I added in a few stragglers from my sons recently dismantled reef as well (a male bangai, a blue spot watchman goby, and a cb ocellaris). We had a party for the Spartans opening game and my son's 8th birthday so my wife wanted some fish in the tank. There are some fish in quarantine right now that will go in after they pass. I added about 75 lbs of long term captive rock from my sons tank into the sump as well as two bottles of Dr. Tim's One and Only to cycle it. Thus far not a blip of ammonia or nitrite in a little over two weeks. Pardon the cell phone pics, never got around to getting out the good camera.

The lumber facing the tank and canopy is all reclaimed (bard wood from two barns next to my grandfathers farm and about 40 pallets). Still putting the finishing touches on the whole project. For example the stools in front of the bar are old oak stools we used to have upstairs. I sanded them down and tool the polyurethane off. Treated the middle one with an aging solution made from vinegar, steel wool, and tea. Painted that on and then sealed it once dry. Didn't have the time to do the others before the party, but you get the idea.

I will be updating as I add new equipment, livestock, etc. Right now it is powered by two laguna 4280 pond pumps with Jebao wave makers.

Attachments

• tank guts.jpg
    tank guts.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 0
  • tank with doors off.jpg
    tank with doors off.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 0
  • tank with clowns.jpg
    tank with clowns.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 0
  • tank view from bar area.jpg
    tank view from bar area.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 0
  • bar area.jpg
    bar area.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 0
Nicely blended in with the theater and bar areas.

If you are anything like me there will only be one bar stool so well done, because there is water flowing! :)

Looks great. Almost like one single tank. Do you have a fish room? I'd love to see how your going to maintain this system.

I added a new skimmer to the sump a couple of days ago. I have been using ASM skimmers for a very long time now (I swear when I bought my first one they actually were sold under a different name). I have tried many others on my own and on customer tanks, but always go back to ASM for quality workhorses for reasonable prices. I wanted to give the tank a month or so to settle in and to get the bacterial populations up before I started skimming. Well the algae succession is beginning now so I figured it was time to start skimming. So far so good, running for about 24 hours and starting to pull a good amount out.

As for a fish room, I have a large fish closet with my 200 gallon quarantine system in it, but nothing hooked up to this system. The RODI is back there, but that is about it. My experience has taught me that the KISS method works best for me when it comes to reef keeping. I will be hooking up 3 dosing pumps to this system (calc, alk, and mag) for now. Eventually as the demand increases I will hook up a calcium reactor to the system. I will test the water weekly and make adjustments accordingly. As for PO4 and Nitrate removal, I will have to see how the tank goes before I add any removal devices. I have biopellet reactors on some client tanks, hooking up a large sulfur reactor soon on a very large client fish only system (had good luck in the past with these and heavy fish loads), and use GFO on a few systems as well. I find that each system has its own requirements and that they change over time. I am not a PO4 or nitrate nazi by any means and I have found that consistency and stability overall are the most important factors for long term success, at least for me.

In time I am sure I will eventually hook up one of the computerized controllers. I have a one on a clients tank, but it is not a commercially available model. It was built by a company who provides systems for public aquariums and controls the 3 phase pumps and has many more bells and whistles than I will ever need, plus the price tag rivals that of a midsize car.

Thank you for all of your comments, I think the basement is coming along nicely. The rock work seems to fool the eye and make it look like one tank well, but I really need some more structure in there. Still waiting on the mortar from Marco.

Attachments

• yvette and skimmer.jpg
    yvette and skimmer.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 0
Good one to live by. Very difficult to do though. So much temptation with all the high tech gear out there.

Back