My new baby Maxima won't stop moving

bocochoco

How do I get him to sit down and shut up? :bounce1:

I don't want him to find a spot I can never see him and attach.

Stop Clam from moving!

Stop Clam from moving!

Maybe you can set a piece of flat liverock in a plastic container that the clam will eventually attach to without jumping out of and when it is attached to the rock you can put it where you want..:bounce2::bounce2:

they move around all the time until they're happy. I have a few babys and one day they're on their side, the next they're upright. Then, they're one direction... it'll stop when it's happy.

Lighting? Water Parameters? Any Crabs? Bristle Worms?

No bristle worms at all. All water conditions optimal...dunno mag levels. Nitrates on low end but I tend to keep a little for my zoas and I hear clams like them too.

4x T-5 lighting 2x 10KK and 2x 420 actinic. Clam is maybe 20" from light. I have many hermits red and blue, 1x emerald crab, 1x peppermint but I have not seen them mess with the clam at all yet.

The clam is very close to a zoa colony and it moved once to where the mantle was touching the skirts...I don't think it liked that much.

If he moves until he is happy I hope he won't move where I can't see him.

Been putting him to the top and he jumps back down to the bottom. He doesn't seem happy since he's not getting enough light(or low nitrate idk). Mantle not opening fully. Hopefully after I install these LEDS this weekend he'll do better.

I haven't tried suppliment feeding him yet. Should I?

Boco, we have a clam that we got a while ago, granted he wasn't a baby baby but we placed him under T5s too, about 20in as well and he has stayed put. I don't think placement is the issue

I had luck with putting a piece of rubble like either a frag disc or piece of live rock a little under the sand and placing the calm on top so It can foot itself. Once they're attached it's easier to place them.

Put mine on a flat rock and it hasn't moved since. Bout half way up. Got my LED's installed yesterday and he opened up for it so we shall see.

Back