My new, but used skimmer... Volcano!!

Mr James

Premium Member
Granted, it's an early version of the ultimate in skimmers... Maybe this will push me over the edge to get a huge tank, just so I can run the the REAL thing!!

I got it from a friend down near Minneapolis. I may try and run it just as is for a while, but sooner or later, I may want to try adding a bubble diffuser (plate) like I have in my BM200. Or do some other type of mod. Any suggestions??

It's measurements are:

25.5" tall
12" diameter body
16x16" footprint

It has a wet neck which I may hook up just to see how it works. It has 4 x OceanRunner 2500's set up as recirculating pumps.

I'm going to give it a vinegar bath first and then hook it up....after I get back from a two week vacation... Guess what I will be dreaming about.

IMG_0019.jpg

IMG_0028.jpg

IMG_0029.jpg

IMG_0030-1.jpg

mcarroll

Interesting...reminds me also of the new Tunze Master DOC series. Very cool!

I take it you are setting it up on a "normal" sized tank, or just saving it for now? I wanna see it in action! B-)

-Matt

newade

I live in mom's basement
so i am stalking you from your other post,, is this monster still around?? i heard that volcanos are extinct now???? what could i interest you in trade,, i am tearing down my 120 tech for a 340 oceanic, and need a skimmer like that,, have complete tech tank,, all less than 6 onths old,, octo recir. mag 9 mag 18 current 150x2 hqi w t5 some small corals,, lets see what we can do,,
wade

Mr James

Premium Member
by newade
so i am stalking you from your other post,, is this monster still around?? i heard that volcanos are extinct now???? what could i interest you in trade,, i am tearing down my 120 tech for a 340 oceanic, and need a skimmer like that,, have complete tech tank,, all less than 6 onths old,, octo recir. mag 9 mag 18 current 150x2 hqi w t5 some small corals,, lets see what we can do,,
wade

PM coming.

by kdblove_99
Thing is a Monsta, COngrats

Yes it is and it is the perfect size to toy with. I HAVE GOT TO post new pics of it. I am only running 3 of the 4 OR2700s and have added an airstone. It literally looks like a volcano.

If I still have it in the near future, I plan to run one 1500 Laguna and see what it does from there. Also want to try 1 or 2 Sicce's. Just to play with!! Also looking into widening the neck to a larger diameter. Since Scott (Aquatic Acrylics) isn't answering my e-mails and phone calls, I plan to seek another fabricator for this project. So far though, I am happy with the results and know that soon this monster will be WAY too big for my water volume, if it isn't already. I do know that I can feed a bunch without any worries.

A few recent shots:

IMG_0032-2.jpg

IMG_0038-3.jpg

IMG_0035-2.jpg

Mr James

Premium Member
by GSMguy
What pump are you running the airstone with?

It's not an Alita or anything THAT nice. It could be a Hagen or something, but I was very surprised at how well it has been doing. I got it at a garage sale last summer and just now put it to use.

Mr James

Premium Member

why are you running the airstone? just curious, are the pumps meshmodded? looks sweet

Airstone adds air bubbles, more than the pumps can produce. Other pumps can produce more air than mine, but they also cost a heck of a lot more than mine. Meshmods only really work if your pumps can handle them.

Mr James

Premium Member
by REEF-n-Chicago
How is the air stone placed? Is it drilled in?

DAR SHE BE....the 9 inch model. Placed on the bottom the the 12" body.

p_rd_120809_17542D.jpg

Back in the day, I ran an air stone driven skimmer (shown below), I fed it with a mag 9.5 and had 4 Drs F/S airstones, similar to above. Did MUCH better than I thought. It's a shame airstones don't get more coverage today.

DSC00262.jpg