My New Coralife BC29 - I've been away to long!

Killamanillaman

Hi Reef Central!

First of all, If it weren't for me stumbling across the Reef Central forums I don't think I would have ever gotten back into this hobby after getting rid of my 70g reef tank about 5 years ago.

Little of the backstory that got me into this hobby that I can't seem to stay away from. When I was 14, I was surf fishing with my dad on the coast of Southern California (Just north of Malibu) when I had managed to catch a smaller Horn Shark about 14 inches in length. The way it was hooked (thru lower jaw and out the bottom of it's mouth) left me concerned if this lil' fella would ever recover. When i tried to release it back into the ocean, It wasn't doing to well and often began to roll to one side and would get washed back ashore with the next wave. I ended up clearing out our 55g ice chest and filled it about half full of water from the ocean with hopes of getting this guy back in fighting shape without having to deal with the stronger current he couldn't seem to get past. Seemed to be doing alright and we were getting ready to leave and attempted to release him one more time, Still no luck...

So what do you do if you don't just want to leave a shark belly up as you leave? Being the persuasive kid I was, I convinced my dad to try and keep the shark. That very night, we managed to make it to a LFS that stayed open late and picked ourselves up a 70g Tank, Stand, Lights.. The works. The main reason I even bothered asking is my father's already existing love for the hobby. We had a 640g Fresh Water tank full of Peacock Bass in the entry way of our home. (Save this story and tank for another time! :D) Anyways, Back to the story, That night we had everything set up for our new arrival. The Shark thrived and recovered and we had him/her for a little over a year when we donated it back to our LFS since a 70g wasn't going to be enough for this Shark in our opinion.

So what do we do with a 70g tank that was essentially Saltwater/reef ready? A reef of course, over the next few years we turned our tank into a gorgeous LPS and SPS dominated tank with all sorts of additional livestock when tragedy struck... While we were on vacation our Chiller stopped functioning and apparently our Central Air in our home was turned off while we were away... When we came home the inside of our house had to be at least 100 degrees or something similar. For any of you people in Southern CA that experienced that triple digit summers back then.. You can understand. More or less everything in our tank was gone.. with the exception of few pieces of livestock. We ended up selling the tank and all of its components later that year.

Flash forward maybe 5 years and here we are! I recently had a BC 29g gifted to me because my father said I work to much and I should find a hobby again. Being excited as I was I quickly started my research as of not really knowing much of the capabilities of the BC 29 and what its capabilities were. (This is where the HUGE thanks comes in to the RC Forums)

Existing Hardware:
Coralife 29g Bio Cube
Tunze 9001 Skimmer (Temporary, was included with the purchase of the BC oddly enough)
I ripped out the exisiting filtration and installed the InTank Media Basket (Floss, Purigen, Chemipure Elite)
Added a Hydor 425 for extra flow
Still contains stock lighting (added all optional LED's for the aesthetics)
Crushed Coral bedding and approximately 30 lbs of live rock (Maybe more, I honestly cant even remember)

Being back in the hobby, and unsure how long I plan on keeping this BC, I'm still torn between upgrading to one of the Retro LED kits or remove the hood and add a different light, Kessil, maybe? Having 3 Labs, Their hair manages to find it's way into every space of our house... and leaves me leaning towards keeping the hood and installing a retro kit. But the Kessil can be used on a larger tank down the road... :idea:

Tank was set up and has been running with only LR and a CUC for about a month. After checking the water parameters every few days i figured its time to bring some life to this tank.

Pair of Percula Clowns
Green Star Poly
Mushrooms

I am thinking of adding some additional live stock in the next few weeks. Thinking about a Xenia, Kenya, other softies and some additional fish. Anyone have luck with Hammer or torch using stock lights?

Constructive Criticism and recommendations are strongly encouraged!

Thanks for Reading!

Attachments

• Front Display.jpg
    Front Display.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Right Side Display.jpg
    Right Side Display.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Left Side.jpg
    Left Side.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Clowns.jpg
    Clowns.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Green Star Poly.jpg
    Green Star Poly.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 0
Awesome start, I am running the exact setup. Curious what led's you added and how they effect coloration? I know I have 4 open slots in the stock lighting system.

Awesome start, I am running the exact setup. Curious what led's you added and how they effect coloration? I know I have 4 open slots in the stock lighting system.

They don't do much other than effect color. It's all preference really. I added 2 additional blue and 2 white. Makes for a cool moonlight color when I don't have the PC's on.

I wonder if adding 4 moon light strips would make the coral colors pop more during the day.
The colors really seem to come alive with the moon lights on at night.

Added a few more things, Couldn't pass up 40% entire store special at the LFS. If anyone is from Los Angeles you should seriously look at LAX Aquarium near the airport.

Working the hours I have been, My tank lights have been on for at least 12-14 hours a day the past few days. Leaving me a nice amount of Algae... Timers are on the way :hammer:

Front%20Display%202-1-16_zps8rgdteie.jpg

Front View
Kenya_zpswzttujws.jpg

Kenya - Not super stoked about this piece, it's attached to a small piece of rock but its growing on top and below it... but hey.. it was only $14 :D
Duncan_zpsi8yoxbc6.jpg

Australian Duncan
Frogspawn_zps7c3bfu9p.jpg

Frogspawn
Hammer_zpsqpgyv3bu.jpg

Hammer
Neon%20GSP_zps4oopqhed.jpg

And just because i love the look of the GSP under just blue LED

Nano ATO and Parameters

Nano ATO and Parameters

So I was thinking about getting an ATO - More specifically the Tunze Nano 3152 Auto Top Off. However, Would it be ill advised to just use the 3155 version? Any issues with it not fitting in the rear compartments? I do plan up upgrading this tank in 1-2 years once I get back in the swing of things.

I'm not entirely concerned of cost, rather functionality.

Parameters as of tonight:

pH - 8.2
Ammonia - 0 ppm
Phosphate - 0 ppm
Nitrite - 0 ppm
Nitrate - Between 0-10 ppm - Had a huge spike for a while - up to almost 50-60, seem to have it under control now that I have hidden the fish food from drunken friends who wanted to see the fish eat and would put in huge handfuls 2-3 times a night. (Great company, I know)

Alkalinity - 13 dKH - Little high
Calcium - 440 ppm
Salinity - 1.026

Side%20view_zpsossd0hoz.jpg

Male Clown has been loving the Hammer, never leaves except to eat. The pair doesn't really interact much anymore. Female stays on other side of tank w/ Frogspawn. Kenya has opened up and is getting great water flow.

His right side fin is a little beat up, same with a scratch on his cheek, Likely darted under a rock. My Banded Shrimp can be a bit of a bully if you come to his turf (the whole back wall of my tank behind the rock) Will keep an eye on it to be safe though.

I definitely would recommend the upgraded 3155 if you're planning on upgrading tanks in the near future. I'm kind of kicking myself for not going with the larger one to start (even though I have no immediate plans for upgrading).

The main difference you'll notice between the two is that the nano one has a shorter run-timer on how much water it will pump before shutting off (it's only safety valve). The 3155 has a secondary switch that will turn the pump off when it hits that level, plus additional water sensors, but the backup run-timer is much longer. Ultimately I doubt you'll ever use the run-timer, but I did recently with my tank so I'm glad I had it.

Whatever you do, make sure to secure the water outlet towards the top of the tank, so it can't get loose and spray anywhere if you move the tank hood around or pull on wires or anything.

I have the 3155 in my BC29 with no issues. It's in there with my Cobalt Neotherm 100 heater, an Aquamaxx FR-S media reactor and MJ1200 return pump... all in the 3rd chamber. The 3155 has a dial in the controller box for you to adjust the pump speed so it can work very well for a nano. The puck with the optical sensor and backup float is a a little bulky, but not prohibitively so. When I eventually upgrade down the road, I'll never have to worry about an ATO.

I have the 3155 in my BC29 with no issues. It's in there with my Cobalt Neotherm 100 heater, an Aquamaxx FR-S media reactor and MJ1200 return pump... all in the 3rd chamber. The 3155 has a dial in the controller box for you to adjust the pump speed so it can work very well for a nano. The puck with the optical sensor and backup float is a a little bulky, but not prohibitively so. When I eventually upgrade down the road, I'll never have to worry about an ATO.

I definitely would recommend the upgraded 3155 if you're planning on upgrading tanks in the near future. I'm kind of kicking myself for not going with the larger one to start (even though I have no immediate plans for upgrading).

The main difference you'll notice between the two is that the nano one has a shorter run-timer on how much water it will pump before shutting off (it's only safety valve). The 3155 has a secondary switch that will turn the pump off when it hits that level, plus additional water sensors, but the backup run-timer is much longer. Ultimately I doubt you'll ever use the run-timer, but I did recently with my tank so I'm glad I had it.

Whatever you do, make sure to secure the water outlet towards the top of the tank, so it can't get loose and spray anywhere if you move the tank hood around or pull on wires or anything.

Sounds like the 3155 is the way to go, especially for the added safety measures. Thanks for the additional input.

Switching out sand is always a bit dangerous, but probably a good move to do in this case.

I would remove 25% per week with water changes, then add the sand back once the crushed coral is gone. I would just use normal non-live sand since you'll already be cycled, and ideally you should rinse it before adding (though I'm on the fence as to whether it is useful to have easily dissolvable grains available).

agree with Reef. Remove the old crushed coral in chunks with water changes then after it is gone put in new sand. Live or not shouldn't impact cycle too much but for sake of cost non live is better option.

Switching out sand is always a bit dangerous, but probably a good move to do in this case.

I would remove 25% per week with water changes, then add the sand back once the crushed coral is gone. I would just use normal non-live sand since you'll already be cycled, and ideally you should rinse it before adding (though I'm on the fence as to whether it is useful to have easily dissolvable grains available).

agree with Reef. Remove the old crushed coral in chunks with water changes then after it is gone put in new sand. Live or not shouldn't impact cycle too much but for sake of cost non live is better option.

Awesome, Thanks! So, Pretty much taking the tank to bare bottom over the course of a month? I think it might also be contributing to the nitrate levels a little bit. Also, With the crushed coral as large as it is, It's impossible for any Goby to sift threw it.

So, I just got home from work and i noticed one of my 2 mushrooms is completely gone, No sign of it.

All I have in my tank is the Percula pair, 1 firefish, 1 CB shrimp, 5 hermits and 5 Turbo snails.

Parameters are still in check, Thoughts?

So, I just got home from work and i noticed one of my 2 mushrooms is completely gone, No sign of it.

All I have in my tank is the Percula pair, 1 firefish, 1 CB shrimp, 5 hermits and 5 Turbo snails.

Parameters are still in check, Thoughts?

A lot of times a mushroom will unlock its foot and go tumbling around your tank. Chances are it is some place in the rock or under cover somewhere. Happens to me with my ricordea some as well as my older hairy mushroom.

A lot of times a mushroom will unlock its foot and go tumbling around your tank. Chances are it is some place in the rock or under cover somewhere. Happens to me with my ricordea some as well as my older hairy mushroom.

Yep. Mushrooms are one of the few corals that will just "let go" and ride the flow to a place they find more suiting. Sometimes that means less flow, less light, etc.

If you find it, you can always rubber band it down overnight to try to force it to grow to that new surface (or it may split in 2, 2 mushrooms!).

Back