My new frag station

gar732

It's still in the works but its getting there. Here is an in progress pic.
IMG_4613.jpg

And I've just finished staining it.
IMG_7846.jpg

I meant to take more pics of it while I went but didn't get around to it. The stand is for my 24x16x8 frag tank, there is a pull out work surface for fraging and what not. I still have to build the canopy for the tank that will house 24 3w cree LEDs. I'm waiting for the rest of my LEDs to arrive so that I can finish up the fixture. I'm hoping to have water in it by monday, but we'll see what happens.

I was expecting a plastic frag rack. but thats a real nice stand and you brave enough to stain in the house on the hard wood floors. my wife would of stopped that as soon as she seen the paper go down.
post more picks as you progress.

Lol, she was already in bed so I heard about it this morning. My display stand was water based stain so it didn't really smell this stuff was oil and does smell. I'll have to figure sometuing out toapply the poly. This thing was supposed to be a quick and easy stand for it and it kind of evolved into this.

If I had more time I would love to be able to build more. I no carpenter, it's just another hobby. I still have to build the canopy for this thing and I then I need to get caught up with a car build that I have been neglecting.

Here are a couple pics of the finished product.
IMG_3197.jpg

Here is pic with the tank on it. This tank will be connected to my display and being that far away from the tank the plumbing will be exposed. I will paint it the same color as the wall in hopes that it will blend in. If it doesn't look ok I will have to figure something else out.
IMG_7627.jpg

And another shot with the work surface open.
IMG_7645.jpg

Let me know what you think.

really nice work man , I like the slideout table and the wide bottom you made , you should have made that table with an acrylic tray to cut on and get wet but its still better than most peoples frag setups keep the tread going as u fill it and add some coral , whats the plan for a rack? whats the light , let me guess ....LED.. ,

Looks good Gabe!! Where'd you get that ingenious idea for the slide out table?:lmao: If you didn't get it plumbed yet and you want a hand, just give me a call.

really nice work man , I like the slideout table and the wide bottom you made , you should have made that table with an acrylic tray to cut on and get wet but its still better than most peoples frag setups keep the tread going as u fill it and add some coral , whats the plan for a rack? whats the light , let me guess ....LED.. ,

I have a thin plastic cutting board that I plan on putting on the table. I have some black eggcrate that will be going in, I want to keep it looking clean but simple. I'll start on the canopy today or tomorrow that will house, yup, 24 3w Cree LEDs.

Looks good Gabe!! Where'd you get that ingenious idea for the slide out table?:lmao: If you didn't get it plumbed yet and you want a hand, just give me a call.

Idk I saw it on some guys build thread, lol. I stayed up and got the plumbing done. The frag tank is about 2ft away from the display (it looked funny if I put it right next to the display) so you can see the plumbing and I don't like it much. Let's see what happens when I paint it.

The frag tank is about 2ft away from the display (it looked funny if I put it right next to the display) so you can see the plumbing and I don't like it much. Let's see what happens when I paint it.

Maybe you could box in the plumbing with a little cabinet? You could make it nice and thin and even use it to store topoff water if you DIY a reservoir out of acrylic like the one you were looking at?

Very impressive, Looks great! I love the flared out legs on the stand design, swanny's idea of framing it in could look really nice if painting it still doesn't look nice enough for ya.

Thanks, I'll try some paint tomorrow and see how it looks. I got some water in it and so far so good, no leaks! I also made my frag rack out of black eggcrate. It's simple and functional. I have to decide what I'm going to do for flow. Right now I have a maxi jet but I'm not sure if it'll be enough. I might try to mod a sure flow mod impeller so that it doesn't put out as much flow. Now I'm just waiting on the rest of my lights.

Thanks. It's got life! It's been running for a couple days now and I put some frags in it, they seem to be happy so far. I haven't gotten around to making the canopy yet and some LEDs that I ordered might have gotten lost in the mail. Some time ago I picked up a 12 cree LED kit from reefled so I'm running that at the moment. It's kinda ghetto now as I just through a couple scraps of wood together to hold the light for the time being. There will be a total of 24 LEDs over the tank when ever I get them. I also made a simple frag rack out of black eggcrate that you can see in the pic. I wanted to make a high speed acrylic frag rack but decided to go with the eggcrate since I've heard of others have problems with flow with those. Well here it is.
IMG_8226.jpg

Back