My new overflow is very loud.. help

mnestroy

I just setup my 90 with the Mega overflow, and for the drain I used the ribbed hose that is included with the AGA sumps kits. (kinda looks like a pool hose)

Anyways, its loud, i'm not sure if its the water falling and splashing inside the hose or what.

I'm wondering if I'd be better use a smooth vinyl hose?

thanks

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14827684#post14827684 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by badazztealcobra
Are you using the megaflow durso kit on the inside of the overflows or did you make your own ???

Using the one that came with the kit, is not the splashing of water inside the overflow that I'm hearing (atleast i think) its the water inside the hose as it falls the distance to the sump?

make your own with a hole in the top and insert 6 inches of hose should take car of your problem

Mystery is exactly right. Those ribbed hoses are always too long and dip down and then back up and what you are hearing is the water building up in the bottom of the hose and then being forced through. Go get yourself some 1.25" vinyl and cut it so that there is no slack. You might need to get a barbed elbow as well. Don't forget the hose clamps. That should solve all of your problems. Your durso should be just fine as long as it is fairly high so you don't hear the waterfall sound over the overflow.

I still havent gotten pics, but i was hoping I could get more feedback.

I am using the overflow kit that you buy from AGA called the megaflow kit. My question is do poeple replace these with a custom durso?

The problem I am having I think is the sound is not coming from the overflow itself but instead from the hose below the tank. I am using a ribbed pool hose that is intended for this application. However I wonder if this hose is to thin and thus I can hear everything?

I was going to try a clear hose but this size hose isnt very flexible.

Its a 90gallon tank with 20L sump with only a Mag 5 so I can't imagine I have to much flow?
Any thoughts?

Look at my post, that should be the solution for your problem. I've installed probably 50+ AGA tanks and I always threw out the hoses because that was a problem. It makes a sound like a small toilet flushing every 5-6 seconds or so depending on the flow. There is no reason to replace your durso. You are not going to build anything better that what they have made. Why spend $60 on a kit just to replace everything. You can soften up 1.25" hose by soaking it in hot water, that makes it easier to work with.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14842505#post14842505 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by hoosierpat
Look at my post, that should be the solution for your problem. I've installed probably 50+ AGA tanks and I always threw out the hoses because that was a problem. It makes a sound like a small toilet flushing every 5-6 seconds or so depending on the flow. There is no reason to replace your durso. You are not going to build anything better that what they have made. Why spend $60 on a kit just to replace everything. You can soften up 1.25" hose by soaking it in hot water, that makes it easier to work with.

Thanks I'll try that today,

It doesn't sound like a flushing, I mean the flow is constant its just loud :)

Back