my new tank

Blownsvt

Well i have wanted to put together a saltwater aquarium since i was a kid but never got the chance to do it until now. For my 25th birthday my wife got me a 125 gallon corner flow tank and stand. Since that time i have aquired lighting, a skimmer, 30 gallon sump, mag 5 pump, waiting for a mag 12 to arrive still, a couple power heads, 500w heater, all the plumbing and now a RO/DI system. I am goign to order some sand and need that last pump to get here then i will be ready for some water to go in. here are some pics of what i have so far.

the tank
016.jpg

013.jpg

the sump

sump2041.jpg

skimmer/etc

027.jpg

030.jpg

tank with lights on it
026.jpg

025.jpg

got 2 of these powerheads for now
011-1.jpg

the RO unit i installed tonight.

006.jpg

007.jpg

thats about all i got so far. hopefully i'll have water going in by the end of the week.

Is that the permanent location? Maybe move it 6-10in over so that you can slide a mag-float in (and your arm) to clean the side.

Looks awesome though, i'm jealous.

Is that the permanent location? Maybe move it 6-10in over so that you can slide a mag-float in (and your arm) to clean the side.

Looks awesome though, i'm jealous.

it can be moved a little if i want. i can reach the right side from the front though as it sits.

Welcome to RC!

Wish I could have started like that.

Looks like it's time for your next big purchase...

ROCK!

yeah i a actually meeting someone on saturday to get some it sounds like. he has around 100lbs with some nice purple coraline on it. he said i could have it all for $150. not a bad price in my book.

1.50 a lb. is a steal. I'd jump all over it, but since your starting with a sterile tank you may want to bleach the rock and cycle it all over again. I would hate to start with a fresh tank, and wind up with nuisance organisms from the established rock. If your interested in how to do it, shoot me a pm and I'll help ya out.

Wow! Hooray for your wife. She's a keeper!! Looks like you are off to the right start. The hardest part is ahead of you though - waiting through the cycle.

Congrats!

1.50 a lb. is a steal. I'd jump all over it, but since your starting with a sterile tank you may want to bleach the rock and cycle it all over again. I would hate to start with a fresh tank, and wind up with nuisance organisms from the established rock. If your interested in how to do it, shoot me a pm and I'll help ya out.

yeah i would be curious to know about the process and what the benifits are. I figured getting it form an established tank would be better than starting from scratch.

Wow! Hooray for your wife. She's a keeper!! Looks like you are off to the right start. The hardest part is ahead of you though - waiting through the cycle.

Congrats!

yeah she is pretty cool and she is hot too :celeb1:

yeah the waiting for cycling is going to suck but i am going to be setting up a smaller quarantine tank as well so i can have fish in that while the big tank cycles so that when its ready for fish i will have already had some fish in QT for a while.

Adrienne. Stop that thing. It's distracting and I'm bouncing with it in my chair.

Blown. Sweet wife. And even though you think you can get your hand in between the tank and wall now. You're going to want those few more inches and now is the time to get them. Once water is in there, there is no moving it.

And on the rock. If you've seen the guys tank and it's clean enough. Just use it as you get it. I've seen plenty of tanks and read plenty of posts where people have cooked the rock and and all that jazz and still have problems with different algae types and animals considered pests.

By the way. Happy birthday. And don't forget to call your insurance company and let them know. If I remember right you get a discount at age 25. But then that was 20 years ago for me.

here is the only picture i have of the rock so far. he said it has been in his tanks for quite a long time.

liverock.jpg

The bleaching or "cooking" is often not necessary, I just went with that method knowing that whatever was in the tank was put there by me.

I wish you luck in your reefing adventures my friend, of all my hobbies this is the most rewarding.

BTW Happy B'day and welcome to RC.

Nice setup. Looks like fish could have a fun time sky diving of to the right side of the tank to the lower floor. :lol:

i ordered up sand, salt, refractometer and a bunch of test kits from Foster&Smith last night. One step closer again i guess.

Back