my percula hangin out just at the side of the tank

sls0768

Hi everyone,

I am new to this. But i will give it a try.
I have recently started a 20 gal. hex. saltwater fish only tank. I have a percula clown and a yellow tailed damsel. The damsel has been in hiding since i put it in the tank. But I do catch it out if i sneak in the room.

My percula seems to be acting as if he is attached to the side of the tank by a magnet or something. He does venture across the tank and seems to be doing it a little more each day. Should I be concerned about his behavior.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10467612#post10467612 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sls0768
. The tank is still in the process of cycling.

BINGO!!

You are slowly killing the fish, they are acting weird because they are floating around in toxic water. Get them out and let the tank cycle.

The people at the place i got the aquarium. Who are 32 years experienced............said the tank is not cycling anything without the waste of fish

They may have 32 years of experince, but they are giving you 32 year old advice!

Please read some of the tips for starting a salt water tank on this site.

kkyyllee is totaly right, when i first started i did a cycle with fish too just like my LFS said and they (the fish) hed alot and you'll find them just staying in the areas of most flow i the tank to get what evers in there gills out.

first of all, take back the fish, do you have test kits? if not get some amonia/nitrite/nitrate, throw a pinch of fish food in a or a prawn, if you use the prawn remove it after a couple of days, then when amonia/nirtrite/nitrate are at zero you can add a fish

you could do some water changes to help them out and make it a little easyer for them. Especially if you can't take them back to the fish store.

If the tank has not yet cycled, water changes will only prolong the cycle. Unless of course the new water added is from an established system with good water parameters.

can you define "some" water changes please. And understand everyone, i am not trying to be rude at all. I am just very confused by everything i have read. Been reading about this for a couple of months now. I have read that is possible to cycle the tank with fish. I just need some TLC from the pros. Thanks

water changes and anything you can do to not stress out the fish exp(don't por the new water directly on the fish, fill slowly and make sure the temp is the same as the tank temp).

Back