My plan for moving tank...your thoughts?

lpsouth1978

I will be moving in about 4 months (about 10 miles) and am starting to plan my tank move. I have the luxury of not having to move all at once , but can do it over a period of weeks, or even a couple months if needed. Right now I have a 40b, that is still relatively young, with a good number of corals (mostly LPS), 9 fish, and 2 anemones. I am looking to make this move as simple as possible, so here is my plan, let me know what you think.

I am planning to start the move by purchasing and setting up a "twin" to my current tank. Since I used a 40b and 20L from the $1/gallon sale, this is a pretty inexpensive option. I figure if I set this tank up early enough, I can add sand and live rock and have it fully cycled before moving anything into the new tank.

On moving day, I would just need to place all of the critters/corals into buckets, load them in the car, and drive the 15 minutes to my new home. By setting up a "twin" tank, I can easily move all of the fish and corals from their current home and simply acclimate to the new tank and have the move done in short order. The other advantage I see for this plan is that it leaves me with a second system that I can move my anemones and clowns into, and have a dedicated tank for them. I have recently been admiring a lot of anemone tanks and would love to set one up (even if it is only a 40b with a handful of anemones).

The only real downside to this plan is that I will need to purchase new lights for one of the systems. I figure I would probably keep the Hydra 26HD's over the anemone tank (since the nems require more light) and get less expensive lights for the LPS tank.

how does this sound to all of you? Any suggestions or recommendations?

Back