My Rainbow bubble tip anemone thread

PhaneSoul

First of all, it is RBTA (rainbow bubble tip anemone) or
RRBTA (Rainbow rose bubble tip anemone)?
reddish orange tips, green disc, white spicules around mouth, purple tips, purple foot from what I can see and black if you count that. How many colors can you count?

Tank info:
55g
-last time I tested cal was a few weeks ago @ 420 I THINK, but over 400
-last night 6-7 alk & 40 nitrates (skipped a wc to see how much typhooning the sandbed would raise it, its usually 20-30 week to week -.-)
-ph 8.4 to 8.2
-80-82 degrees summer time, 79 winter
-0 tds ro/di
-weekly 15% wc's with the total cleaning routine, sand siphon, rocks cleared of detritus and a filter sock changed everyday.
-sump always clean except for biofilm cleaned 2x monthly
-1/2 to 1in sandbed
-about 45x flow
-algae-yes but not overgrowing, kindve just enough for tang to graze
-montipora spognodes is growing, from what I understand, quite well, about 2-3cm every week or two
-euyphilla doing great, very large, have yet to notice any serious skeleton growth yet but soft tissue growth is very good with 3 new heads on a frogspawn, torch is huge but no skeletal growth or tissue expansion
-Duncan and other frogspawn look like they are about to sprout a new head
-sponge tree seems to have improved since purchase on Tuesday
-hitchhiker sponge has grown 6x in 3 months
-new heads growing on zoa's
-coralline algae grows
-clean glass about 2x a week, still aiming for once a week
-paly's all grow fast

lighting
10 royal blue on for 12 hours
10 more royal blue on for 10 hours
10 cool white on for 8 hours

So this being my first nem, and nems being so fragile & having the ability to nuke my tank, I tend to do something with this guy that I do not never ever find myself doing with my tank; worry & because of this I have documented his every move...

when I got him he looked like this, last Monday 6 days ago.
20150601_235017.jpg

20150601_234225.jpg

very colorful, very green, orange, redish, whatever other colors he has to him.

he was acclimated in shade over a 3 hour period pouring in 1/4th cup of water into a bag every 20 mins containing about 3 cups of water with 1/2 emptying of the bag 1/2 way through.

the first day he was placed here (position 1), he was attached to a dead plating montipora type rock. he moved up about 3 inches, I removed the dead lfs coral rock, he pooped solid fleshy type uneated food and moved back down within the first 2 hours. he stayed there open like in the pic above for the rest of the light cycle, about 4 hours. the next day I woke up he was in the same place (lights still off). I did some stuff then took a nap and when I woke up about 5 hours into the light cycle (3 hours into all light channels being on) he was moved up into the crevice of the rock shaded but outstretched twords light (no change in flow here) (position 2) where he stay until I went to work the next morning. when I came home on the 3rd day he was in the same general area only on the other side of the pillar rock (current position), from the way his tentacles move throughout all this it looks like he was seeking lower flow, not lower light as he has always been outstretched twords the light except for the first day where he was open just not OPEN. this is where he is now, ive also placed numbers on the pic to correspond with what you just read.

a478abeb-3975-4dde-9b5a-c0b7485897ba.jpg

Now for feeding. I have fed him every few days, roughly 3 times every 2 weeks at this rate, about 1/2 cube worth just to him, tank gets about a cube a day, I don't care about feeding in my tank but broadcast feeding does not get to him so I have been spot feeding when he gets to look like this all stretched out look. he is very very sticky. sticks to my feeding syringe like its a sucker stuck in a kids hair, one of those 1/2 way dried out suckers that hurts when you try and pull it out, not one that's wet and just comes out leaving the kids hair all sticky and gooey. ive been feeding him the same blender mush that everyone else eats, mussels, octopus, nori, shrimp, calamari, imitation crab meat with a lil vitamins and phytoplankton I mixed in as well. he gobbles it up just like everyone else.

ive also noticed the bubbles go away right after feeding and are more dominant any other time a few hours after feeding, so yes he does still have them, in pic 2 I just fed about 20 mins before that pic. his mouth does not look unusual, gaping and 'bloats up' a lil when food is introduced to the water, normal from what ive read.

OKAY so I think ive got the basics out of the way...
man us reefers and our specifics geesh.

so, to my quandary.
trust me, everything I think is patience.
ive looked up dead/dying/signs/whatever of a downhill nem and it does not point to that. he is always plump, extended, and despite color looks good.

ahh I guess now you have pinpointed where im going with this.

Color. as you can see he is under a rock and stretches around the rock to get to the light. easily hitting about 4-5in in length stretching, diameter of disc is about 3-4in before being fed and 2-3in after being fed. but ive noticed he gets whiter as he gets all stretched out, whiter and more transparent. to the point where it looks like he is bleached, his disc not his tentacles. when he is not all stretched out twords the light its not so very noticeable and I wouldn't be worried, like now after eating.

here are more pics of what im talking about., almost 2x the size of what he is now after eating.

20150607_232250.jpg

20150607_232216.jpg

after eating

20150614_000837.jpg

20150614_000752.jpg

20150614_000548.jpg

those pics above do not do the disc much justice. I have to use a handheld white led light to shine into the mouth area because well, he decided to move under a cliff as a home. here is a much better shot I just took showing the green to his disc

20150614_015611.jpg

Again a separate handheld white led was used here, but most importantly to show that there is coloration on the disc. Also the green is very apparent when white led's are turned off, really all coloration is pretty solid within the tips, cant really see much green, he shades himself, but near the top where I can see green that's supposed to be green, it is green.

And one last thing to add, in the middle of the night last night I checked him out and he was just hanging there, just chillin. like a bat in a cave. not closed up, not fully open, just, ya kno, hangin around ;)

Also he does not always 'strech out' maybe every 3rd day, then i feed him and hes normal size for a few days

This morning i looked at him, no lights middle of the dark cycle, with a white led light and he, being right around normal size, just hanging upside down, appears to be in full color, its really only when he is streched he gets the bleached transparent coloring

I think that is the end of my post. I tried to be as detailed as possible.

I have spent a lot of time on this post, I will be very sad if it says my ticket timed out... here goes nothing...

Yes, lol, long posts.....

Bothered by how white/bleached he gets when he is all streched out as shown in the 4th and 5th pictures. I figure because he is just all streched out, like drawing on a balloon then inflating it to see your drawing distorted, but i am seeking your guy's more experienced opinion on it

Lol if the question is about bubbling than yes it's normal, btas are weird and no one really knows why but as long as it not bleache doe torn it's healthy, also it is rainbow rose, most of.or variation of btas are rose variations, for example I have a hot pink rose bubble tip

O and depending how open it is the more blan the colors are I find, when mine is less open, the pink is stunning and bright but when stretched out it is a bit lighter, just think density

Honestly I wouldn't worry about it too much. the larger my nem expands beyond normal, the more faded they become. Nothing to do with bleaching so much as he cant increasing his pigmentation in relation to how much he expands. Don't stress too much over your nem, BTA are pretty bulletproof. I've brought some back from practically mush. In fact the last gbta I picked up was in such bad shape after shipping. All white, inside out, spewing spaghetti, with a huge hole from mouth to center of the foot like a doughnut. Almost just threw it out but ended treating it and today he is fine.

Last edited:
So it would be RRBTA respectively.

Im not talking about the bubbles, im talking about the coloration of the disc when it gets all streched out like in those pics stated, but as you said, density and thats what common sense had me thinking as well.

Great. Im also assuming he is expanding so far is for hunger as id imagine his light absorbing is cut at least in half being under a rock and requiring more solid food which would be why he doesnt strech out as much until a few days after feeding.

You really need to stop overthinking it. There is no rhyme or reason with BTA's no matter the color.

Not to sound arrogant or anything, but im pretty sure color vs bleached is a big deal. Especially with someone who has never had an anemone & is rather new to the hobby.

Not to sound arrogant or anything, but im pretty sure color vs bleached is a big deal. Especially with someone who has never had an anemone & is rather new to the hobby.

your nem is not even remotely bleached you are over thinking this your nem looks great but you need to understand that if you take a pink balloon and blow it up full of air its going to change the color of it making it much lighter in and even "whiter" now think of that in the same way about the nem its absolutely perfectly 100% normal. if your nem is making you worried right now then you are going to have a rough time since BTAs frequently go through episodes of shriveling and expelling waste and looking like crap. all of which is likely to drive you nuts if your worrying about whitish color when fully expanding.

Like everyone saying only worry if it's whit or all cut up, even if it's closed its all good, and technically it is just an rbta as rainbow isn't a separate species just a higher end coloration but many call it rrbta so what ever floats your boat, mine is the hot pink variety as I stated and I always mention it's hot pink when I have questions even though it is irrelevant to the question just cause in proud of its rarer coloration, naming is weird but I'm just saying for your general knowledge it is an rbta, just with a coloration that is described as rainbow, think dogs, I have an Australian shepherd so I'll use that breed as an example, you can get them in tru-color, blue Merle or red Merle, they are all Aussies but there coloration of their fur is different so they have names to describe that but they are still Aussies

I realize this post basically is a rant that might be confusing so feel free to skip over it, I'm trying to explain it as simp,e as possible but I'm overthinking my simplification

Hehehe it's gonna be so funny when you have kids dude, you're gonna make em sanitize their hands all the time and wear helmets and like weigh them every week to monitor their growth on a spreadsheet lol
I'm just kidding, it's a beautiful nem and you'll do great. I think your ready for it. Remember the only stupid question is the one you blah blah blah

WE've told you it's not bleached. Only you are thinking that thus my comment overthinking it.

Bleached or not it looks fine and the worse thing you could do to it is do anything at all. Just sit back and enjoy it. Very nice looking BTA. rose or rainbow or any kind.

I'm new to anemones as well mainly because I was always so worried about them nuking my tank either by floating off into a powerhead or just not being ready for one and having it die on me. Took me 8 years to get the courage up to trying them out and I knew going into it they would be stressful if not prepared for their ups and downs. It's still stressful.

I got a RBTA and a GBTA. My rose looks just like yours and has split three times. My Green is a grump and was "washed out" looking like yours at first and is a nice dark green now. Just give it time. My mean green also constantly goes through cycles of looking like death but I know now to just wait. He always comes back looking bigger then ever. My roses don't change to much other then multiplying.

It's interesting this thread came up as in my journal I just tracked what my GBTA goes through every few days to at least once a week.

So, Do not stress AND do NOT doing anything. The BTA will do what it wants when it wants to. If you force something it could make it worse or go somewhere you don't want it to go. Unless you have a lot of experience with them...

for reference in quotes is my post from this thread covering a day in the life of the grouch
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1673282&page=45

And this is why my green BTA always stresses me out but have learned to not worry and just let it be.

He's always going through these phases.

Early this morning looking like death
5b714a45fe1154c14f1d8598e237342c.jpg

Someone wanting to say Hi
ff43260bdaa6bb3fd876f2e5c7f52995.jpg

Couple hours later
2dbc9f765d1c9c73e5ecf671095e2fea.jpg

Noonish time
bf8d47a1811492fb9e15d40ad8ba024a.jpg

Couple hours after that
9be270aade64727efcffcebb18ca2f33.jpg

Just now
03414ff343c53ae72c0edb4cafc85e20.jpg

And in a few more hours he'll be fully open again

My gbta does the same thing kinda weird. My is hosted by two black clowns.

It got killer ****ed today during tank transfer upgrade.

Anyways, if anyone noticed the original question was answered within the first 8 posts

Post 9 starts a 'overthinking' discussion . But is it really overthinking? Trying to discuss the actions or a foreign being that we dont know much about? You might call it overthinking, i say observation and studying.

Thanks on clairification of the rrbta

CS, my kids will be locked outside with a pitcher of koolaide, a garden hose, shelter from the elements and their imagination during daylight hours just like i was as a kid with nothing but a tickon the doorframe every year.

Back