My skimmer is going crazy after adding Ca RX

bobafet1

I recently setup a Ca reactor and let it run without Co2 for a few days just to get things circulating. I bought the reactor used so it already came with aragonite media. I rinsed the media once before adding putting it in the tank. For the past few days I've been tuning my reactor. However, my skimmer is producing way too many bubbles now. I've had to raise it up the sump and open the gate valve all the way to try and lower the bubbles in the skimmer yet this thing practically keeps overflowing. Not sure what to do? Should I just connect a line to the skimmer cup drain and let it go crazy in hopes it will subside? Is this normal after you setup a reactor? (this is my first).

Any info is appreciated.

I recently setup a Ca reactor and let it run without Co2 for a few days just to get things circulating. I bought the reactor used so it already came with aragonite media. I rinsed the media once before adding putting it in the tank. For the past few days I've been tuning my reactor. However, my skimmer is producing way too many bubbles now. I've had to raise it up the sump and open the gate valve all the way to try and lower the bubbles in the skimmer yet this thing practically keeps overflowing. Not sure what to do? Should I just connect a line to the skimmer cup drain and let it go crazy in hopes it will subside? Is this normal after you setup a reactor? (this is my first).

Any info is appreciated.

Was the reactor brand new? If so, it could be something in the reactor that is making the skimmer go crazy....

OR

If you didnt rinse the media enough, I'm guessing that's what is causing your reactor to go crazy. I'm sure it will stop after a couple days.

Was the reactor brand new? If so, it could be something in the reactor that is making the skimmer go crazy....

OR

If you didnt rinse the media enough, I'm guessing that's what is causing your reactor to go crazy. I'm sure it will stop after a couple days.

The reactor was used so maybe I didn't rinse it enough. I'm sure I was lazy and only rinsed it once.

my tank is looking great though...=)

ok, i'm posting again because my skimmer is still skimming like crazy. I don't understand it. I use to have to throttle down the intake just to get the skimmate high enough in the skimmer neck but now I have to throttle down the air intake otherwise this thing will keep overflowing. I even raised the skimmer height as high as I could but it's still the same issue. Still confused.

I've just set up my Vertex Reactor with brand new media and I've no problem with the skimmer. My thought is that your media is contaminated with something since it's used. Nothing should make the skimmer going crazy unless there are something in the media IMO.

Any info is appreciated.
IMO, it's not a calcium reactor at this stage. You just added a media reactor that is colonizing with bacteria. Not a big deal IMO. Just run some carbon and all will be fine. Of course adding Co2 might also solve the problem as bacteria will not make it in that acidic environment.

Back