• 60%-70% of display tank volume

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • 70%-80% of display tank volume

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 80%-90% of display tank volume

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • 90%-100% of display tank volume

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • My topoff reservoir is larger than my display tank!

Votes: 4 4.5%

• Total voters

LobsterOfJustice

Recovering Detritophobe
How big is your topoff reservoir?

During the summer I go away for a week at a time a few separate times. It fell into place that this summer two of those weeks are back-to-back. I also happen to have a lot of evaporation. I just got back from a week in the outer banks and my 44 gallon reservoir was nearly empty. So I went to Lowe's, got another 44g brute, and plumbed the two together. Basically made an upside-down U out of PVC with a T and ball valve at the top to suck the air out and start a "siphon" to keep the water level in the two the same.

Then I realized... I have an 88g reservoir for my tank now. And my tank is only 90 gallons. Is this rediculous? I don't intend on keeping the 88g reservoir permanent just because it takes up so much space - but for the next few weeks, I think I might have the largest tank-to-reservoir ratio on reef central - 97.8% of my display tank volume. :)

Oh, and those of you with the topoff hooked directly to the RODI - you don't count for the poll :p

IMG_2316.jpg

IMG_2317.jpg

Last edited:
just make sure that the switch doesnt fail and stay on. that would suck if it did

for my 75 i just have an RC bucket full of water and add to it when needed. its only about 5 gallons. my little biocube has a 1 gallon container for topoff

LobsterOfJustice

Recovering Detritophobe
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12930123#post12930123 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by nietzsche
just make sure that the switch doesnt fail and stay on. that would suck if it did

for my 75 i just have an RC bucket full of water and add to it when needed. its only about 5 gallons. my little biocube has a 1 gallon container for topoff

I feel pretty safe - I've had the Tunze osmolator for a few years now, and the only time it has a problem the opposite happens: I get buildup on the sensor and it doesn't turn on when it should. It also has a feature where the controller automatically shuts the pump off after it has been on for more than a few minutes (like if my cat takes the level sensor out of the sump or something).

areze

50g for 400g. float valve on the RO unit though. I dont leave it on however, I have the float valve so I dont have to be religious with checking back to see when its full, I can forget about it for a day or 2.

but I dont want it to spray 3 cups of water back in every time the ATO kicks in. RO/DI is not effective for the first few minutes. so Ill shut it down and let it deplete.

Bebo77

Premium Nonpaying Member
lol.. i have 25 g for my 400g set up...

but its built into the sump... no trash cans next my tank...

discocarp

Oh, and those of you with the topoff hooked directly to the RODI - you don't count for the poll

Too bad! I voted bigger than my display anyway! Muahaha! :)

BTW, I'd STRONGLY suggest fitting a (curved) bulkhead to those cans to connect them. The over the top method always fails sooner or later...

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Premium Member
FWIW, I use 3 of the 44 gallon Brute cans plumbed together for limewater storage and dosing for the same reason: I'm often away 2-3 weeks at a time. I also have 2 plumbed together for automatic water changes and 2 plumbed together for new RO/DI. :) :)

King-Kong

Re: My topoff reservoir laughs at your puny reservoir

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12929980#post12929980 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by LobsterOfJustice
How big is your topoff reservoir?

Oh, and those of you with the topoff hooked directly to the RODI - you don't count for the poll :p

..no fair!

My entire system is automated... even includes a latched relay to avoid TDS Creep!

..ofcourse, that didnt stop my AquaMedic parastaltic pump from failing to supply this much controlled and automated fresh water while I was away on a long vacation... ofcourse, I do have backup for that too, but I never turned it on cause I didnt think I needed it... :mad:

LobsterOfJustice

Recovering Detritophobe
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12937077#post12937077 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by discocarp
Too bad! I voted bigger than my display anyway! Muahaha! :)

BTW, I'd STRONGLY suggest fitting a (curved) bulkhead to those cans to connect them. The over the top method always fails sooner or later...

The two-can setup is not going to be permanent - this way when I get back from vacation I can return the second can :)

ReefEnabler

Premium Member
speaking of curved bulkheads, where can you buy them?

are they separated into different radius curves etc??????