• 60%-70% of display tank volume

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • 70%-80% of display tank volume

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 80%-90% of display tank volume

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • 90%-100% of display tank volume

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • My topoff reservoir is larger than my display tank!

Votes: 4 4.5%

• Total voters

LobsterOfJustice

Recovering Detritophobe
How big is your topoff reservoir?

During the summer I go away for a week at a time a few separate times. It fell into place that this summer two of those weeks are back-to-back. I also happen to have a lot of evaporation. I just got back from a week in the outer banks and my 44 gallon reservoir was nearly empty. So I went to Lowe's, got another 44g brute, and plumbed the two together. Basically made an upside-down U out of PVC with a T and ball valve at the top to suck the air out and start a "siphon" to keep the water level in the two the same.

Then I realized... I have an 88g reservoir for my tank now. And my tank is only 90 gallons. Is this rediculous? I don't intend on keeping the 88g reservoir permanent just because it takes up so much space - but for the next few weeks, I think I might have the largest tank-to-reservoir ratio on reef central - 97.8% of my display tank volume. :)

Oh, and those of you with the topoff hooked directly to the RODI - you don't count for the poll :p

IMG_2316.jpg

IMG_2317.jpg

Last edited:
just make sure that the switch doesnt fail and stay on. that would suck if it did

for my 75 i just have an RC bucket full of water and add to it when needed. its only about 5 gallons. my little biocube has a 1 gallon container for topoff

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12930123#post12930123 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by nietzsche
just make sure that the switch doesnt fail and stay on. that would suck if it did

for my 75 i just have an RC bucket full of water and add to it when needed. its only about 5 gallons. my little biocube has a 1 gallon container for topoff

I feel pretty safe - I've had the Tunze osmolator for a few years now, and the only time it has a problem the opposite happens: I get buildup on the sensor and it doesn't turn on when it should. It also has a feature where the controller automatically shuts the pump off after it has been on for more than a few minutes (like if my cat takes the level sensor out of the sump or something).

50g for 400g. float valve on the RO unit though. I dont leave it on however, I have the float valve so I dont have to be religious with checking back to see when its full, I can forget about it for a day or 2.

but I dont want it to spray 3 cups of water back in every time the ATO kicks in. RO/DI is not effective for the first few minutes. so Ill shut it down and let it deplete.

lol.. i have 25 g for my 400g set up...

but its built into the sump... no trash cans next my tank...

Oh, and those of you with the topoff hooked directly to the RODI - you don't count for the poll

Too bad! I voted bigger than my display anyway! Muahaha! :)

BTW, I'd STRONGLY suggest fitting a (curved) bulkhead to those cans to connect them. The over the top method always fails sooner or later...

FWIW, I use 3 of the 44 gallon Brute cans plumbed together for limewater storage and dosing for the same reason: I'm often away 2-3 weeks at a time. I also have 2 plumbed together for automatic water changes and 2 plumbed together for new RO/DI. :) :)

Re: My topoff reservoir laughs at your puny reservoir

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12929980#post12929980 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by LobsterOfJustice
How big is your topoff reservoir?

Oh, and those of you with the topoff hooked directly to the RODI - you don't count for the poll :p

..no fair!

My entire system is automated... even includes a latched relay to avoid TDS Creep!

..ofcourse, that didnt stop my AquaMedic parastaltic pump from failing to supply this much controlled and automated fresh water while I was away on a long vacation... ofcourse, I do have backup for that too, but I never turned it on cause I didnt think I needed it... :mad:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12937077#post12937077 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by discocarp
Too bad! I voted bigger than my display anyway! Muahaha! :)

BTW, I'd STRONGLY suggest fitting a (curved) bulkhead to those cans to connect them. The over the top method always fails sooner or later...

The two-can setup is not going to be permanent - this way when I get back from vacation I can return the second can :)

speaking of curved bulkheads, where can you buy them?

are they separated into different radius curves etc??????

Back