My what a difference a year makes

serpentman

part time superhero
I am working on putting together a couple more of these. In the interim, here are couple growth shots:

comp2-tricolor.jpg

comp3-pinkmilli.jpg

comp5-bluemilli.jpg

Nice pics now I can see how long it's going to take for my coral. Thanks for shareing. Keep the pics comeing.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15436804#post15436804 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by zef004
Nice pics now I can see how long it's going to take for my coral. Thanks for shareing. Keep the pics comeing.

Knock on wood, I should turn the corner now. Growing frags to mini colonies is the most painfully slow part.

very nice! i especially like the first pic. what do you run yor system with and what are you dosing if anything?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15437763#post15437763 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by reefsahoy
very nice! i especially like the first pic. what do you run yor system with and what are you dosing if anything?

Thanks guys. My equipment is listed below:

Lighting:

3 x 250W Reeflux 20K's with Lumen Bright mini reflectors
2 x 60" VHO Super Actinics
2 x 60" VHO 454 Blue Plus

Chemical:

GEO 618 Calcium Reactor
Geo Kalk Reactor
GEO Carbon & Phosphate Reactors

Maintenance:
* Dose DIY 2-part occasionally to tweak Ca and Alk levels
* 40g weekly water changes (~8%)

Hi Serpentman,

It's very encouraging to find that 250W bulbs with Lumen Bright can produce brightly colored SPS's. You corals look very very nice.

I recently switched my old 120 gallon tank to a 180 gallon tank with three 250W 20K XM bulbs with Lumen Bright mini's. Due to the stress of moving, my SPS's are all browned up right now. Prior to the move, they were very brightly colored under my 250W Phoenix bulbs (only 4 inches above water surface) on HQI ballasts.

I was beginning to wonder if my new XM bulbs (on IceCap ballasts) under Lumen Bright reflectors (mounted 15 inches above water surface) were not enough to color up SPS's.

Do you think that three sets of a 14K 250W MH bulb with a Lumen Bright reflectors would be bright enough for coloring up SPS's in a 24 inch deep tank (72 x 24 x 24)?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15490851#post15490851 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Tomoko Schum

Do you think that three sets of a 14K 250W MH bulb with a Lumen Bright reflectors would be bright enough for coloring up SPS's in a 24 inch deep tank (72 x 24 x 24)?

Without a doubt. I was running XM's before these and got great color and growth. I ran the bulbs about 2 mos too long so when I made the move, just about everything in this tank was browned out. It took about 4 weeks for the colors to come back and then another 2 weeks for them to intensify. With the XM's, I highly recommend changing them at the 6-8 month mark and you will have good results.

Thank you, serpentman!! I will try to be patient and wait for them to color up :). I will watch for the timing to change these bulbs, too.

Really diggin the color progression. Thank you for the great shots and time sequence. Rare that I get to see something like that.

I love looking back at old pictures of the tank and seeing how fast stuff has grown/colored up. Nice looking corals!

Back