My Yellow Wrasse Drama...

gofor100

Hey Everyone,

So a horrible thing happened last Thursday... I came home from a busy day at work, let the dogs out, then go to feed my fish, and notice that the usual yellow streak of color isn't in my tank. I check the powerheads and overflows to see if he's dead and just stuck up against one of them. Nothing...

Then I think, maybe he somehow jumped out of the tank even though I have a canopy and hard netting covering the only openings to guard against carpet surfing... yep, there he is lying on the floor behind my tank seemingly lifeless. :mad2: He must have found the one hole large enough for him to slip through.

So thinking he is dead, I go get my net, and try to scoop him up to bury him at sea (down the toilet), but upon closer inspection, notice his gills are still gasping for air/water. So I hurry to put him in the tank hoping that at least I'd give him a chance.

After I placed him in the tank, he looked stiff, but still gasping for oxygen and just rested on the rock slightly on his side (not a great sign). He then made his way to the bottom of the tank, and before I know it, he disappeared again.

He didn't show up on Friday, then nothing again on Saturday, then all of a sudden, Sunday afternoon, out of the corner of my eye I notice the familiar yellow streak in my tank... could it be?!?! I looked over and saw him swimming around in the tank!!! :bounce2::bounce3::bounce1:

I thought for sure that he buried himself, only to then die somewhere in the tank, but he made it back and is eating normally again! :D

Just thought I'd share...

-Chad

Motivation I guess, the wrasse figgured better here in the tank than with the brown trouts

hahaha... :lolspin:

He's actually one of my favorite fish, so I'm glad I didn't have to find a replacement. Good thing is he's a healthy eater, so he was nice and fat which gave him plenty of fat reserves to use up while hiding in the sand.

Thats great news... I love my yellow canary.

I left to the store for seriously about 15 minutes a couple of years ago... had just got a mccoskers flashers wrasse a couple hours earlier.

Well by the time I got home :30 minutes later my wife Annette (girlfriend at the time) said my fish jumped and it was dead, and that her and my room mate just through it in the trash! I'm like why didn't you just throw it back in?!?!?! Dang it!!!!!

Long story longer I couldn't get to it at the bottom of the giant trash can outside. Ugh.

Thats great news... I love my yellow canary.

I left to the store for seriously about 15 minutes a couple of years ago... had just got a mccoskers flashers wrasse a couple hours earlier.

Well by the time I got home :30 minutes later my wife Annette (girlfriend at the time) said my fish jumped and it was dead, and that her and my room mate just through it in the trash! I'm like why didn't you just throw it back in?!?!?! Dang it!!!!!

Long story longer I couldn't get to it at the bottom of the giant trash can outside. Ugh.

That's a bummer... I actually waited to tell my wife about the story until I saw him swimming around on Sunday (she takes fish losses pretty hard :)).

The best I can guess is that he must have jumped at some point when I got home because I can't imagine him lasting out of the water too long and still being able to survive. Either way, he was out of the water at a minimum a couple of minutes because I always look over the corals and equipment in the tank a little bit before feeding when I get home from work. What's worse, is that he had carpet fuzz all over him when I placed him back in the tank (so I squirted him a few times with a turkey baster to help shed the fuzz). Let's just hope he doesn't find another hole in my mesh...

-Chad

:lmao:

I've heard of Lawrence's fish "issues"... poor guy.

Sounds like he's starting fresh though, so hopefully he'll have better luck this time around.

Hahahaha
I just want do fish only too on my main tank but jeff won't let me since my acropora is doing well but I am going on vacation so I might still do it....

Back