my yelow tang has ich

ironwalrus69

My yellow tang appears to have ich. I just noticed 2-3 little white bump like things on the right side of his body... It kind of looks like sand but it has been on him for about an hour. I looked at pictures of fish with ich and it looks like it to me. I have crustaceans like peppermint shrimp and 5 other fish. I have a qt tank set up but i dont know if its worth fetching him out and straining my whole tank if it could be treated in my main tank. I need some advice on what to do and if neccesary how to transfer the tang to the qt...
Thanks

Emery

I am a super newbie too but I have read that you don't want to treat in your tank with inverts. Also if you treat with copper in your tank and get inverts later it could cause problems. I would assume that you would transfer the tang in the same way as you would acclimate.

Many ways to approach this. Meadow is correct in that treating the display is a no-no. Don't get caught up in anything that claims to be reef/invert safe. I could wright 5 pages on your options, but your best bet is to go to the "Fish Disease" forum and start reading the various stickys there. Steven Pro has a good article that covers 17 or so different options. Suffice it to say that if you take the propper steps, you'll be fine.

2 proven methods of cureing ich is either hypo or copper. each treatments will have to be done in a seperate hospital tank and all fish need to be treated for it at the same time, while leaving the main tank fishless for 6-8 weeks.

thanks to all for your advice regarding ich! i will check out the disease forum now as suggested....hopefully i can get this under control...thanks for your help!!! emery

Back