Mystery Algae

Sinthel

Can anybody identify what algae type this is?

One lfs thought it was a bizarre strain of gha. The other thought it might be a parasite. My snails and emerald crab don't touch it. I tried a sea hair slug and it just ignored it.

I pull it out as much as I can with every water change, but it just keeps spreading and returning.

And if you can identify, did you have a way to kill or do I need to go the chemical route?

Thanks!
dc7412ab938d1d4d4aaf176f98b27b57.jpg
23e405a8b9175e109595ff345b617d1f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Can anybody identify what algae type this is?

One lfs thought it was a bizarre strain of gha. The other thought it might be a parasite. My snails and emerald crab don't touch it. I tried a sea hair slug and it just ignored it.

I pull it out as much as I can with every water change, but it just keeps spreading and returning.

And if you can identify, did you have a way to kill or do I need to go the chemical route?

Thanks!
dc7412ab938d1d4d4aaf176f98b27b57.jpg
23e405a8b9175e109595ff345b617d1f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Have you considered an herbivore fish, like a tang (if your tank is big) or a combtooth blenny if your tank is not very big. Some folks have had great success with urchins too but they can mow down more than just nuisance algae.

That's not Bryopsis. Whatever it is, I guarantee it'll go away on its own over time, at least that's been my experience with several different types of algae. I think I have that same stuff currently. It isn't spreading, and isn't an issue.

I'll second an urchin, apparently they eat almost all algae. If I didn't have macroalgae, I'd get an urchin myself. Turbo snails might also be a good choice.

Is it weird that I like it? It looks like a mini seagrass. I bet it moves nicely in the current. You've also got some nice sponge growth. I imagine a Foxface would eat it for you. Or maybe a zebrasoma tang.

Back