Myzislow's Custom 95 Gallon Rimless

myzislow

After browsing the forums and being inspired by all of the great tanks and corals that people are working with these days, I've decided to create a thread for my new tank I've been working on for awhile now. I hope to share my experience throughout the entire process; from the welding of rock work to transferring my livestock, and of course as many worth while updates as I can.

The tank itself is a rimless/braceless design, made by Leemar. The stand was a custom job done by a couple local buddy's of mine. Here is a quick rundown of specs and equipment:

Tank: Rimless Leemar 40"x26"x21" Starfire front panel. Corner triangular overflow
Lighting: 24" Sifiligoi XR4 250wSE 4x24w T5HO fixture, M80 magnetic ballast, 250w Radium, 4x24w blue plus
Skimmer: ATB 840 v2.
Circulation: 2x MP-40w on opposing sides, Mag 9.5 for return
Controller: Neptune Systems ACJr.
Top off: Tunzee osmolator
Dosing: 2x Drew's Dosers, B-ionic 2 part
Sump: 40 gallon breeder; baffleless
2x Two little fishes reactors(gfo & carbon)

After ~8 years of maintaining my old 29 gallon it became apparent that I was in dire need of an upgrade. I had no more room for corals and was beginning to form a general sense of apathy towards the tank; it just wasnt fun anymore. After all most of my enjoyment in this hobby stems from growing coral out, and watching things mature and color up as best I an get them to; something I just couldn't do in my 29 anymore.

Old shot of my standard sumpless 29 gallon:
zoanthids825-1.jpg

I had been planning this build in my head for as long as I can remember. After scouring the internet for many late nights I began to form a very good idea of what I wanted in my next tank. My goal was to have an all around aesthetically pleasing setup, utilizing a 'minimalist' type of scape with a select number of coral. The tank will be a mixed reef, but I'm a stickhead at heart and I'm sure it will end up being SPS dominated. I pondered different lighting setups over and over, and I basically came to the conclusion I cannot run a tank without the shimmer of a metal halide bulb. I went with the sifiligoi fixture because not only is the quality amazing, but they are one of the few companies to offer SE fixtures with a large reflector in an appealing design. This light is very bright and the spread is good corner to corner, I couldn't be happier with my decision.

I just recently began transferring what livestock I have left and so far most everything has responded pretty well.

Here are a few teaser shots:

Scape welded together years in advance haha:
zoanthids1755.jpg

zoanthids1753.jpg

Livestock waiting in a holding tank:
group_1.jpg

New tank back at my house after a long drive:
DSC_0044.jpg

DSC_0061.jpg

skimmer arrived after quite the wait, but well worth it!
atb.jpg

Got her plumbed thanks to the resident plumbing expert:
IMAG0117.jpg

All of the electronics mounted and skimmer in place:
tank.jpg

First corals added after the test corals passed:
tankpreview.jpg

Since then I've added pretty much most all of my SPS that I had left. I'll try and get some shots of how it looks these days on here pretty soon. Hope you enjoyed so far and I look forward to sharing my experiences throughout this process.

This looks great ! You appear to have some great husbandry skills. This new roomy tank should showcase your skills. Are you getting any micro bubbles back in the dt with no baffles in your sump ?

Absolutely wonderful tank and incredible aquascaping!

Thanks a lot man!

love the tank, hate the stand =(
Thanks. The tsand design defnitely isnt for everybody, but I like it. I'm always looking for somewhere to put stuff when working on the tank and it comes in very handy.

It's a stand and a shelf too! :)
Haha, that it is.

This looks great ! You appear to have some great husbandry skills. This new roomy tank should showcase your skills. Are you getting any micro bubbles back in the dt with no baffles in your sump ?
Thanks a lot man! I'm really liking all this room that's for sure. As for the micro bubbles, there is absolutely none when I run my filter sock, but without it there are a few, but its really not too bad at all. I think the large sump footprint helps as it gives the bubbles time to dissipate. My light skins are being painted right now, but it's hung bare, industrial looking for the time being haha.

Few updated shots of how it currently looks; sorry about the terrible quality, they are with my phone. Still have a lot of things to mount and transfer over, but it's coming along slowly.

Right side:
IMAG0349.jpg

Left side:
IMAG0348.jpg

FTS:
IMAG0352.jpg

Light:
IMAG0350.jpg

30k colony, my favorite mount so far:
IMAG0339.jpg

Last edited:
242438_220067774688869_100000569446834_826989_5443718_o.jpg

Wasn't sure what all the hype was about until I actually saw this piece is person. It really is a nice as its made out to be! Cant wait til it grows haha.

Update- Well, I have been pretty sick the last few days and that has given the opportunity to get some tank stuff done. I had been slacking on setting up my dosers and ATO so I finally got that all squared away. Programming all of the different states for the dosers on the AcJr. was a PITA!! But well worth it; nothing like total automation IMO. I can also tell the ATB is pulling more consistently now that the water level is staying consistent in the sump.

A far as livestock goes, everything seems to be doing well so far. I've added all of the last of my left over SPS and I've also obtained a few more chalices as well to add to the collection. The 250w SE radium is reallly bright on the m80 ballast, so I'm taking it slow and am only running it 3.5 hours of MH right now, as in the past all of my tanks have ran nothing but 150w's in sunpod. Quite the jump with this fixture!

Hopefully Ill have some worth while pics up here soon.

I'm glad you didn't give up. I enjoyed your old 29g pictures many times.
I'm digging the new tank too, that light is wicked cool. Awesome setup!
How did the pink panther make it? Can I see a new shot of it?

I'm glad you didn't give up. I enjoyed your old 29g pictures many times.
I'm digging the new tank too, that light is wicked cool. Awesome setup!
How did the pink panther make it? Can I see a new shot of it?

Thanks man! The pink panther made the transition well. Its still acclimating to the tank down on the sand bed and has lost a lot of color from its old glory days, but I am confident it will comeback for me. Ill see if I can get a shot of it when my buddy comes over. Thanks again!

Everything looks great. The tank dimensions you chose are very interesting as well. Any reason why you selected those in particular? Also curious for your selection in fixture size relative to tank dimensions.

I use a 24" powermodule on a 30" tank and I like that the fixture doesn't span the entire length. I think it's aesthetically pleasing and it gives my LPS shelter from all the light. I wasn't sure if this was your reasoning as well, but if so I think it's important to bring up as this isn't or hasn't been the norm.

Well done :thumbsup: and how about a FTS?

Everything looks great. The tank dimensions you chose are very interesting as well. Any reason why you selected those in particular? Also curious for your selection in fixture size relative to tank dimensions.

I use a 24" powermodule on a 30" tank and I like that the fixture doesn't span the entire length. I think it's aesthetically pleasing and it gives my LPS shelter from all the light. I wasn't sure if this was your reasoning as well, but if so I think it's important to bring up as this isn't or hasn't been the norm.

Well done :thumbsup: and how about a FTS?

Thanks! The dimensions I chose were directly related to the lighting fixture I planned to run. The Sifiligoi has a huge reflector that is capable of covering a 36"x36" footprint no problem, without any shadowing in the corners. I originally planned to go 36"x 26" but at the last second decided to go 40" long and couldn't be happier. The light spread is awesome and I still have hardly any shadowing in the corners at all. I love that I can light my tank with just a single halide as well. It helps with the energy cost and the extra added heat associated with halide systems.

I agree with you, I love the look of a fixture hung over the tank that doesn't span the entire length, it just looks good to the eye. In person, my setup is staggered from the stand to the tank, and tank to the light, and it flows awesome IMO.

Thanks again!

When setting up the ATO I found that the stock tunzee brackets wouldnt allow enough adjustment to actually get the sensor even with my water level. I had wanted to buy the new magnetic mounting kit they offer but I had a spare 6025 magnet here so I just made my own:
IMAG0381.jpg

A little bit of loctite super glue Gel and I was in business!

Shot of the sump and dosing pumps installed(dont mind the mess haha):
IMAG0380.jpg

I can already tell the tank is responding nicely to the addition of steady dosing and a constant SG. The skimmer works a lot better as well. Plus, its such a relief to not have to stress on dosing/topping off every morning before I leave the house and before I go to bed.

Winter Storm in May!

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/7N0yygbJ1R0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back