Naked Perculas?

MeuserReef

Welcome to the next level
Anyone have any links to info on the "Naked Perculas".

I was browsing a few LFS today and came across a pair that were both about 2" and they came with 2 large anenomes for $350.

I almost bit... but wanted to research them a bit. Havent been too sucessful finding anything on them.

Thanks in advance!

MeuserReef

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10436566#post10436566 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by vaporize
what do you want to know?

1). Do they produce offspring that are also "naked"?

2). Are they really rare enough to be so expensive?

Thanks

Heterodonut

I would hope that the anemones they came with were worth about $125 to $150 bucks each. Naked clowns are different, but they are not rare. More of just a mis-bar that missed completely. I don't know if they breed "true", but unfortunatley a lot of naked clowns I've seen have pug noses. All of these traits used to be considered deformaties, and the fish werer culled (thrown in the trash) until somebody realised (in the marketing department) that if they made up cute or cool names for these former rejects they could charge five times as much for these "rare" fish. ORA even sells "stubby" clowns, gross looking things that look like those "parrot" fish that were all the rage in fresh-water. Thing of beauty or freak of nature, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. What they are worth, well that depends on what somebody is willing to pay. I have two baby ocellaris that each only have one eye, I'd be willing to sell them for 50 bucks. Hey, maybe there will be a movie "blinding Nemo" and they'd be worth $5,000.

MeuserReef

I agree that it is likely a marketing creation, however these had absolutely no physical deformaties, just no stripes (no white whatsoever). I thought they looked really sweet and I had to admit that I had never seen or heard of a stripeless clownfish so my curiosity was genuine.... just glad it didnt convince my wallet to cooperate.

They were very deep orange in color and looked to be in perfect health. They were brought to the LFS by a hobbyist that had to move and was not able to take them. The anenomes were about the size of a small dinner plate each. I asked for the price without the anenomes and was told that they would not let the fish go for less than $300 for the pair. So really... they were charging $25 each for the anenomes if you bought the fish for $150 each!

They are still at the LFS as I type this.

Heterodonut

I think naked clowns are fine as long as the body shape is right. Sounds like these were. Even so, I've seen plenty of pairs for sale. Riptidesreef.com has two pairs right now for $89.00 a pair. This is about as high as I would expect a pair to be UNLESS it is a spawning pair. Sure, then the guy selling should expect $300. bucks, otherwise they are WAY overpriced. But again, there may be someone willing to pay that much, but not me. And for the guy that would pay that much I havve a Condycutie anemone that is veeeery rare, that I'd sell for $300.

MeuserReef

OK so the "naked" clowns are actually the same species as their striped counterparts just with a bad paint job? I mean you wouldnt want to get them with hopes of breeding them if they will likely have regular offspring, right? One guy at the LFS said they were a breeding pair and another said that they werent.

Im not going to be getting them, but I would like to try to breed some clowns one day and if these are capable of producing "naked" offspring, I would consider attempting to breed them.

Thanks for the info. Im glad I decided to wait and study these little creatures before justifying the (over)price.

Heterodonut

Yes, they are stripeless, but the same species. Just a product of aquaculture, like mis-bars. Usually this is caused by poor environment in the larval-juvenile period. How much is inherited is a big question. I seriously doubt they are a breeding pair-but if they are they should produce eggs every ten days. Tell the lfs to call you when they "laid again".

chrisstie

Premium Member
As far as I know at the LFS I work at we can get nakeds on a semi regular basis from ORA - and I'm sure there are other breeders out there who are able to come up with this "stripe morph" as well.

So far as I can tell they are just misbars without the bars- they are adorable, some people really like them and others are like "that looks like a goldfish" .. really depends on the individual.

i agree with what was said above- I hope the anemone was really something to be worth that much.. they aren't too too expensive.

There are some websites that get them in from ORA sometimes too.. can't remember their price tag for a single but I am pretty sure its under $50 if that gives you some frame of reference

MeuserReef

I see.... Well. Im glad that I passed on them. I would have felt pretty bad (stooopid) paying 3x what they were worth. The only thing that kept me interested in them was the possibility that they were a different species which would have allowed me to breed them.

I understand now why the LFS said they have had them for a few weeks....