Name that crab.. maybe

Walla2GSP

I got a couple of hitchhikers with my Macroalgae six months ago. The first crab was about 1/4" if you measured the spread of leg tips. I have been able to tenatively ID it as a Red Ruby Mithrax, and it has grown more than ten times that size since arriving being now just over 4". THe second crab was tiny about 1/8" and white when it arrived, and has maybe doubled in size about 1/4" max tip to tip now. I tried to get a picture, but camera was either out of focus or you couldn't make out the crab against the rock. I will continue to try to take a picture, but I only see the crab out every couple of weeks, so it may be sometime before I get another chance. Does this sound like any crab that people have experience with or is it just an odd phenomenon? If I were to describe it I would say it looks like a thai micro crab only a little smaller and thriving in saltwater.

Both crabs estimated based on leg tip span measurement.

Not sure what kind of crab it is but if my experience is anything to go by get it out. If it isn't already it will turn into a fish killer.

How would a crab the size of fish food kill a fish? Toxins? It's also in a coral/refugium tank, so the only other critters besides corals are snails, bristleworms, and pods. I moved the mithrax to my fish tank as food for my puffers, but no one seems hungry enough to eat him.

Back