Name that sound.

Letmegrow

DSC00422xp.jpg

DSC00424qx.jpg

DSC00386qqx.jpg

It might be this one, if you can survive the mechanical stab wound.
DSC00272qx.jpg

Arachnofornication:
DSC00285qx.jpg

The above copulators are native to Missouri.
Aphonopelma hentzi - Oklahoma Brown

Nah it's a dry process.

The male (left) molts for one final time, in which he gets his sexual organs.

The little "legs" in front that aren't actual legs, but are called pedipalps have hard "bulbs". They use these bulbs(called Emboli) to draw up sperm that they lay down into a special web. They can store it in the emboli for many months or years. Depending on the life span of the Ultimate male, usually short.

For most genus of tarantula males will also gain "hooks" on their front legs, these hooks, known as Tibial Spurs are used to pin back the females fangs while he used his pedipals to insert his emboli with the loaded sperm into her epigastrial furrow, where her spermathecae are located. From what I can compare it to it's like her ovaries.

Tibial spurs
43768498ecc5789a

Emboli that holds sperm.
Cras_embolus.jpg

Spermathecae examples
38e56730f91171c8

ed4b2b43494b2624

8d839b2052824328

5feee1207eee8cd2

c87e485d19573a1e

What is really neat is each species of Tarantula have their own Emboli/Spermathecae shape. Like having 1 key for 1 lock.
Some can hybridize if they are very closely related, but mating naturally from Genus to Genus would seem almost impossible for most all genus due to the emboli not fitting in correctly.

She will develop eggs and use the stored spem to fertilze the eggs. Some species this can take as little as 14 days some 6 months.

When she is ready to lay eggs she will make a special web and lay the egg mass down, then she will ball it up and seal it shut.
The egg sac will be cared for and tended by mom until they emerge from the egg sac. Most species will develop in about 60 days, some alot longer.
a488eb4c934910d8

tarantula1_f.jpg

2421292491_fe380a862f.jpg

There really is no leakage Mike, I swear !!

Last edited:
I got a question for ya, assuming you know a thing or two about tarantulas. Back in the early 1980s at Ha Ha Tonka state park around the Lake of the Ozarks, a buddy and me came across hundreds, literally all over the place, big tarantulas crossing a paved highway....we got out and caught about a dozen of them.

Have you ever heard of such a migration, nobody ever seems to believe me when I tell 'em. Now of course we were into some heavy mind altering substances back then but I know I scared my Mom to death when I came home with a bunch of big hairy spiders. One dead one I put ontop of the washing machine, she almost had a heart attack.....

It's not so much a migration.

As stated above. When males fully mature they get their reproductive organs, then go in search for a female.

All those tarantulas you saw were ultimate males looking for some tail.

Most tarantulas will only travel in about 25sq ft their whole life. With a few exceptions they lead solitary lives, until it is mating time.

You just were in the right place at the right time.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15613748#post15613748 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Letmegrow
Any girl that wants to kill you while making love can't be worth the trouble...... right ?

If you have to pick a way to go...

Back