Nano -> 50G in a health food store. (upgrade)

tothesumpandbackagain001.jpg

tothesumpandbackagain

I got the Utube overflow and return pump going. Now to finish the rest of the equipment array.

Reef Keeper Elite (RKE)
heater
media reactor
skimmer
fan?
Eclipse hood
powerhead

Looking really exciting. 29's are very hard to aqua scape due to the tall tank and shallow depth. I'm excited to see what you come up with.

Aaron
Yeah, 29's are.

I plan on a deep sand bed. Prolly 6 inches. I think I'm going with CaribSea Florida crushed coral. I've had it before and liked it. I haven't chosen my sand sifters yet.

The liverock is petco. I've got 90% of it. It's better than the LFS's and I can buy it one rock at a time and quarantine it one rock at a time. Because my QT is only 6 gallons. Petco rock is Walt Smith Fiji Aquaculture and is fairly clean.

Looks like I'll have problems with the tank background. I want to paint it but still trying to decide if I'll have an internal overflow. Any way I look at it I have to paint and to combine it with a 50% water change will make it a lot easier. I want to save half the water and dump the rest, good thing I have three Brute trash cans laying around.

Another up coming pita is the Avast media reactor. Not looking forward to building it and I'm thinking about maybe using a double BRS ro style canisters for GAC and GFO. The biggest problem here is finding a place to mount it where it's not an eye sore. Using the canisters will free up my media reactor to follow inline with my ozone reactor for my big tank.

Well I'm joining the AI Sol club. I ordered Digital Aquatic's Advanced Light Controller today. It interfaces the AI Sol to the Reef Keeper Elite. This is one serious light but I don't know how I'm going to mount it. I can't use any ceiling mount because the ceiling is too high in here. I'm excited although I don't know what I'm going to do with my Eclipse hood. :)

BTW, I'm saving up for the AI Sol and not the nano Sol.

October-30_2116.jpg

I was digging through some boxes and found this book by Bob Goemans, Ph.D. It's just what I need to plan and implement my deep sand bed. There's a lot in this book that I forgot since the last time I read it.

If I understand it right Crushed coral is exactly wrong. It traps too much crap and will not compact enough to get the DSB working right.

eclipsethread006.jpg

Trying to get ready for the wrasse coming in on Wed. My eshopps skimmer's pump bit the dust, water too low in sump. Got a Prizm hob skimmer running temporarily.

I emailed Eshopps for info on where to get the replacement pump. Couldn't find one with google shopping. Just as soon as temp skimmer is gone, the eclipse goes up. Now off to make some water quality tests. ;)

eclipsethread004.jpg

Having a heck of a time with my RKE. I'm bagging the whole myReef/PC interface thing for right now and just want to use the head unit for programming. All I need right now is heater control and light timer. Sounds easy but I get fustrated with it.

100_0032.jpg

Tested some parameters today. Had some problems with calibrating the temp probe, the raw data was all over the place so I turned down the heaters dial to match the target data. Phosphates were ok, left my notes at the store, can't remember the numbers. Nitrates were high and the test kit said the level can start to affect corals. Also did a water change and ordered the replacement pump for the eshopps psk-75. ;)

Cool Build, I would come back to your store, just because of the Tank!Not to mention the awesome food!Right on man!The FedEx guy seemed to be real Enthused about the fish, I mean why in the world wouldn't he be?

I added some more bioballs to the wet/dry trickle filter. Then test for nitrates. I'm hoping the lr will take care of that. A lot of hobbiests will tell you wet/dry filters are nitrate factories, but how many of them have tried these filters?

addbioballs002.jpg

I've been saving up for months and finally bought an Aqua Illuminations Sol White and reef keeper advanced light controller.

I also have my rodi setup. I will run it for the first time soon.

aisol002.jpg

Back