Nano -> 50G in a health food store. (upgrade)

My old Nano Cube 6. I'm going to use this as a quarantine tank.

12-22-07009.jpg

Okay I put two coats of gloss black brush-on paint on the back of my new 50 gallon acrylic and it isn't enough. There are blurry patches where some diffuse light shines through. If I'd used spray paint instead of brush-on, I'd be done by now. Now I have to tape up newspaper around the thing again and put on another coat or two.

I'm taking the slow road and plan to have the switch to the 50 gallon by the end of the month.

Ordered a 35 gallon sump from Glasscages. 24"x24"x14" It will stick out of the stand in back so I can put my neck cleaner on my skimmer. The stand won't allow the neck cleaner because it's two inches too tall.

Now I've come to the point where I have to decide whether to drill the tank for an overflow or just use one of my hob's. If I decide to drill, I'll have to convince my dad that's the thing to do. He is very against it and it is my parents store. Anyone have any idea what I should tell him?

Now I've come to the point where I have to decide whether to drill the tank for an overflow or just use one of my hob's. If I decide to drill, I'll have to convince my dad that's the thing to do. He is very against it and it is my parents store. Anyone have any idea what I should tell him?

Tell him HOB's are known to have siphoning issues which is really what leads to overflowing of tanks.... Just search some examples on this forum. I've seen many horror storys.

HOB's are junk and are the real issue.

Did I mention I picked up a flame hawkfish at Kevin's shop? I love these guys!

Tomorrow is my last water-change on my 29 gallon. This whole week I'm working on switching to the 50 gallon and should be done sometime next weekend.

Tell him HOB's are known to have siphoning issues which is really what leads to overflowing of tanks.... Just search some examples on this forum. I've seen many horror storys.

HOB's are junk and are the real issue.
I will be able to convince him but not in time for drilling the tank because I'm moving everything to it this week. I'll have a chance to drill when I move it someday because my parents won't keep ownership of this store too much longer and it will have to come out of there.

So in the mean time I'll use a CPR hang-on-back.

Got it all transferred. 50+25 gallons system total.

Problem with my AI Sols. One rail doesn't have female threads. I can't hang my leds without the rail. I Contacted Aquacave where I got them and they said aqua illuminations will send one right away. He then said he would follow up with me in an email. Well that was yesterday and no email today. Meanwhile my corals have no light.

My zoas and 'shrooms aren't doing very good. I hope it's just stress from moving and nothing worse. No nuisance algae in the new tank. I will try target feeding these guys.

Building a pump manifold. Going to run my pellet reactor, GFO Reactor, and refugium off of it. Taking a bunch of pictures tomorrow. First pictures of the 50 gallon.

My zoas and 'shrooms aren't doing very good. I hope it's just stress from moving and nothing worse. No nuisance algae in the new tank. I will try target feeding these guys.

I've never fed a shroom or a zoa on purpose, they'll get plenty from the water column, and the lights.

For overall better poly extension, I love to add a little mag chloride mixed into fresh RO/DI water. Just a couple of teaspoons in a gallon and drip into the sump for top off. I do this about once a week. My corals love it.

HTH,
Aaron

The first two are FTS and the middle four are of rockscape and fish. The corals are SPS, mushrooms and zoanthids in that order.

Last edited:
Back