Nano Cube Lighting ??

race58

OK, I'm going to try my question another way.

I need to replace my CF tubes on the 28 Gallon Nano Cube (JBJ).

My question is should I buy the replacement tubes and supplement the light by adding either "Stunner" strips, Rapid Led 3watt Crees, or something else?

Or,,,

Replace the CF's with all LED's using the options above?

How many and which LED's would be suggested for either approach ?

My tank is a reef tank with only 4 fish and a cleaning crew at this time.
It is well established and is going on 2 years running. Right now I have some mushrooms which are multiplying and a few other soft corals but plan to add more once I get this light situation remedied.

Thanks in advance.

OK, I'm going to try my question another way.

I need to replace my CF tubes on the 28 Gallon Nano Cube (JBJ).

My question is should I buy the replacement tubes and supplement the light by adding either "Stunner" strips, Rapid Led 3watt Crees, or something else?

Or,,,

Replace the CF's with all LED's using the options above?

How many and which LED's would be suggested for either approach ?

My tank is a reef tank with only 4 fish and a cleaning crew at this time.
It is well established and is going on 2 years running. Right now I have some mushrooms which are multiplying and a few other soft corals but plan to add more once I get this light situation remedied.

Thanks in advance.

I went with the JBJ unibody. Relatively cheap compared to other LEDs and comes with manual dimmer and controller capability out of the box. It has worked great for me and I only have to run at 75% during my peak hours and have some SPS, duncans, hammer, zoa

I went with the JBJ unibody. Relatively cheap compared to other LEDs and comes with manual dimmer and controller capability out of the box. It has worked great for me and I only have to run at 75% during my peak hours and have some SPS, duncans, hammer, zoa
Can you share how you mount your JBJ unibody? Did you have to remove it everytime you need to pull out the media basket?

I did a Rapid LED kit on my Biocube, and it was pretty straightforward. I had a few easy SPS in there and the growth has taken off. I have a pocillipora that has grown to the water's surface:bounce3: My only regret is not getting the dimmable version. I cheaped out because I'm building a big tank I I just wanted to keep things simple in my BC.

Can you share how you mount your JBJ unibody? Did you have to remove it everytime you need to pull out the media basket?

I have an aquapod 24 gallon and it was clamped over the back trim. it does not get in teh way of the media basket. it only protrudes about 1/2 inch past the trim once it is clamped down. if oyu get it you may have to remove the white screw in spacers depending on the type of trim you have. I will try to take a pic later.

I have seen that but wanted to use my existing hood.

Thanks

I did a Rapid LED kit on my Biocube, and it was pretty straightforward. I had a few easy SPS in there and the growth has taken off. I have a pocillipora that has grown to the water's surface:bounce3: My only regret is not getting the dimmable version. I cheaped out because I'm building a big tank I I just wanted to keep things simple in my BC.

Thanks,, What lighting combo did you go with in the kit?

Hope cell pics turn out

Attachments

• jbjmount2.jpg
    jbjmount2.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 0
Thanks for all the input.

I have decided to go with a DIY kit from RapidLed.com
It's going to have 24 3w Crees with combo of Cool whites and Royal blues.

What would be a good controller to buy to get the varied light effects simulating 24Hrs, etc. using auto control with the fixture I'm going to build?

I have seen many different controllers that do that and more like Lightning,wave control and so on but am looking for input on a reasonable pricing and good performance.

Thanks

I did hear on another forum that RapidLED is comig out with a direct replacment for the JBJ28 kit soon....same mounting holes and such as the stock lights.

You are correct but they don't know exactly when. I asked if I could just buy the parts separately now but they said it is still on the drawing board and don't know what going to be included yet.
I don't have 2+ months unless I just replace my CF's and go with the Rapid kit next time.

Thanks for all the input.

I have decided to go with a DIY kit from RapidLed.com
It's going to have 24 3w Crees with combo of Cool whites and Royal blues.

What would be a good controller to buy to get the varied light effects simulating 24Hrs, etc. using auto control with the fixture I'm going to build?

I have seen many different controllers that do that and more like Lightning,wave control and so on but am looking for input on a reasonable pricing and good performance.

Thanks

If you haven't ordered already, I highly suggest you don't go with the cool whites and instead use neutral whites and throw in some violet LEDs as well.

IME you won't be happy withe your color long term. The cool white and blue combo looks like crap. It is very cold and you lose a lot of spectrum and color in your stuff.

I really wish RapidLED would get their act together and stop selling such a garbage mixture of LEDs.

With rapid led, you choose the LEDs you want. My kit came with 12. I did 7 royal blue, 3cool white, and 2 neutral white. I might switch out a cw for another rb.

Back