Nano light not working

vdhillon2

I just replaced my CP lights in my JBJ DX nano tank, they have been working fine for a week, and then all of a sudden they stop working. Any idea how to tell if it is the ballast or the bulbs? The fans still come on when the power is turned on, so does that mean the ballast works? Not sure what to do.
thanks

Pyrrhus

If both lamps are not firing up it is probably a ballast issue, the fans are wired through the ballast but are usually run on a parallel circuit.

vdhillon2

Correct. Both lights are out. I guess it does sound more and more like the ballast. Is it one of those things that just go out, and there's no fixin it?

Pyrrhus

If you have some basic electrical skills you can probably take the ballast box apart and replace the actual ballast. All you need is a ballast with the same specs as what comes out of the ballast box.

Isnt there a fuse on the JBJ ballast boxes? Its been awhile but I seem to remember a fuse, you should try replacing that first.

DjScibbity

BooYaah!!
Yes, theres a fuse on the JBJ ballast box. Check that first. Then if the fuse is good, its likely the ballast. They go out after a few years. Nanotuners.com sells the pony ballasts and they are pretty reasonable. Just make sure you get the right one for your tank. Its a fairly easy process to wire in the new one. Ive done it a few times. Lemme know if you have questions.

-JP

vdhillon2

Thanks for the help. I have checked the fuse, and it is not blown. I have taken the box apart, but can't say it was the ballast that was dead. I'll look into that website and see if. Can get myself a new one. Might be a good time to switch to a halide if I want to...just not sure if I can retrofit that hood.

vdhillon2

So everything look fairly straight forward to retrofit a 70 halide into the current DX hood. My only hold up would be getting a reflector that fits. Anyone know where to get something that shallow? Nanotuners sells the hood with a HammerTone reflector, but don't have it listed seperatly.